1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti strikes back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I do question if the Sun-Times is milking this for the reasons you've offered.

I don't question, however, the theory that Jay Mariotti is a blowhard and a coward.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

From the Chicago Tribune's live blog of today's City Series game:

"UPDATE: Mariotti is cornered in the lunchroom with his cell glued to his ear, whining to his bosses about the inconsiderate behavior of his Sun-Times peeps, who apparently don't like him. FANTASTIC!"

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Completely off topic but I wonder how much longer Rupert is going to fund the Post since he has a shiny new toy in the much larger and much better Wall Street Journal.

Back to Jay and the *feud* I don't care. Much like the latest musings of Jemela, it doesn't mean anything to me.
    I guess it is amusing to read about the goings on here, but that's about it.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They don't. The NYT estimates the Post's losses at $50 million per year. The Daily News, in its best years of the Zuckerman regime, has been marginally profitable. The Times has always had a dominant share of the ad revenue.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Earlier in that same blog: "Sun-Times hero and fan favorite Jay Mariotti asked for a security presence to safeguard him from his colleagues. Wonder Why?"

What a massive tool.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh the drama.

[​IMG]

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'm not sure anyone liked him. But I do think people respected the body of Cosell's work.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least he didn't have to worry about being attacked by the players after the game...

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Funny. Jay-boy was the one who made the public threat to punch somebody ("I would love to punch you," to Telander) and he's the one who demands security protection.

:D :D :D

I'm sure Telander lives in mortal fear of that thundering bolo punch from Mariotti, about on par with his fear of being swarmed under by runaway fleas.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You're afraid of your co-workers? Wow, that speaks a lot for your credibility.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The only people in Chicago who enjoy Mariotti are those employed at the Tribune.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

From a Sully sidebar:

"Best media moment: A Sun-Times columnist asking security staffers Saturday to safeguard him from one of his colleagues, who asked for a conversation. Request denied."

Draft saved Draft deleted