1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti strikes back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Jun 20, 2008.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

CHICAGO -- Sun-Times columnist and star of ESPN's "Around The Horn" Jay Mariotti was discovered in a dark alley Saturday with Rick Telander's laptop inserted into his ass ...

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't know how the hell their management puts up with that shit from any side. It's one thing to spark interest in your section, but these guys are just undermining their product.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll say it again, I'll take Couch over either of them.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No, he just runs to the big office with his little stiletto unsheathed.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed to reflect a better verb

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Jay Mariotti: What. A. Douche.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

With you on that.

Management doesn't smack down Mariotti for the same reasons Detroit management coddles and covers Albom: Star system. They create the monster and then the monster runs the joint. Most newspaper managers like to flex on smaller fries in the office. Gutless, 98 percent of them.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jay ... you're a pissy little bitch.

Double dog dare you to come on this thread and respond. Oh, right... that would take guts.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think when you've been in a business for a couple decades, in numerous markets, and virtually no one will state publicly that you're a good guy to work with and be around....something is just wrong.

10. Notepad

Notepad Member

When Jay says that he needs to "examine the newspaper business, where it is right now, where the Sun-Times is in this market and maybe get his act into gear and help us win this battle …" I do not understand exactly what he is trying to say about Telander.
    Is he suggesting that Telander write angrily just for the sake of writing agrily because, in Jay's view, the audience can't get enough anger?

I don't get it. Can someone help me out here.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The day when Telander, Couch, Cowley, and the entire sports department gang up on Jay and dump him in the middle of Lake Michigan, would be the happiest day in sports history.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ozzie drives the boat...

Makes me wonder that if the powers that be told him to stir more shit when he got the new contract.
    "People love that... keep going. We'll handle Telander..."

Draft saved Draft deleted