1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti says media not fit to vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 18, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He should have won by a landslide that season.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It is? What champion?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I for one will continue to vote in the COCKDIAN! poll to determine the national charmion.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I don't think this is true. I think it was an idea by the BBWAA that never got off the ground. Where did you find this?

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

You're right, I read the two AP stories about it, both coming at the winter meetings, in backwards order. They voted on it on a Wednesday, and then on Thursday unanimously tabled the vote.

It's pretty amusing, considering Jack O'Connell was quoted about why they voted originally. In the backtrack story, not so much. I bet the agents hammered them, since they were all under one Opryland roof.

6. I think the media should not vote for anything, from top 10 prep polls to the Heisman. I say that mainly because I hate having to vote for stuff.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

You don't have to vote.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sometimes you might. In some states, for examples, prep writers are strongly encouraged by their bosses to vote for AP top 20 polls, all-state teams, etc.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

When I did preps eons ago, I was encouraged but never forced to vote. The same when I covered MLB. You don't have to do it Ace. You do it because you want to.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For over a decade I voted in AP football and basketball pools, Heisman or major awards in pro sports. I never for a second felt the same amount of pressure I did the one year I had to help pick an all-area team for preps, and most papers make someone there do just that.

Every couple years there's a major controversy in voting for an award or in a poll, but in preps I would bet rarely does a season in any sport pass without someone getting irate over a player being left off an all-area team.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I did it for the kids who didn't work as hard but were more talented.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shit happens Mizzou. I had guys who didn't make all district but went on to play professionally. I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard.

Draft saved Draft deleted