1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti says media not fit to vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 18, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A little sensitive Mizzou? You openly admit to changing your vote and you think you shouldn't be called on it?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Call me on that, that's fine. Imply that I should never have been allowed to have a vote and go into a personal attack, which are quite common from you, and I take issue.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

By doing that, IMO, you just showed you didn't deserve a vote.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing about most of these awards. They are created and presented by media organizations -- the AP, the BBWAA, etc. So how is that a conflict of interest? We, the media, give X an award. No conflict. If it was, say, the MLB MVP award, there might might be a conflict.
    The only award I've ever voted on is baseball Hall of Fame, which arguably is about the highest category of award imaginable. I take it very seriously. I would have no problem defending any of my choices in public to any media outlet on earth.
    There are about 1,000,000 more obvious and difficult ethical conflicts on display in sports journalism every second of every day than this issue. A former colleague I respect who is still employed by a newspaper Web site does commercial voiceovers at his radio talk show gig. To me, that's a conflict, not an MVP vote.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah well... Apparently people more important than you thought I did.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I could go either way on this, but some of these votes determine whether a coach or player gets thousands of dollars in bonus money, whether a team wins a national championship, etc.

That's a conflict you are walking into. Not something that naturally pops up in the course of doing your job.

To me, the worst is the AP football poll because it is used to determine a champion. It shouldn't be used that way, but ...

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Riddle me this, WHY does anyone give a shit about what Jay writes or says?

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Checked it out: Starting in 2013, players who have bonuses in contracts for BBWAA awards will be banned from consideration. This was voted on in 2007, and the six years in lag time was for the expiration of then-current contracts. So Jay can sleep easier in a few years.

9. Michael_ Gee

If a player or coach has a bonus clause in his contract for winning a media award, I again fail to see the conflict of interest unless voters are corrupt enough to reward/punish a guy for non-performance related reasons. If they are, they will be engaged in far more serious conflicts one way or another because that's what corrupt people do.
    I think those clauses are hilarious. I think it's a conflict of interest for the player. How can he bitch about writers not knowing anything if he's agreed to base part of his salary on the votes of writers?

10. Mizzougrad96

The college football poll was the worst and the worst thing in the history of the poll was when Mack Brown started emailing voters and lobbying for Texas to jump over Cal and go to a BCS bowl, which is exactly what happened.

Journalists are human and sometimes respond to pressure.

One of the times I got shredded for my vote was for the Heisman in 2001. I voted for Grossman, Dorsey and Freeney and got shredded for leaving Crouch off my ballot.

11. Michael_ Gee

Upon further review, history has absolved you. Although maybe not for Grossman.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

How about this: If you're too stupid or scared to take a few minutes to provide an honest, educated vote that accurately portrays your true feelings, don't vote.

Everybody else, knock yourselves out.

I'm with spnited -- the shit some of us worry about is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted