1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti says media not fit to vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 18, 2010.

1. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Would have been the two shortest phone calls I ever received, met by the same explanation before a dial tone -- "none of your business."

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Blind squirrel, acorn.

It's always safe to assume anything and everything Mariotti says is 99.9999997% full of shit.

He happens to be vaguely right in this case but it's certainly not due to any particular ethical insight, factual knowledge or moral credibility on his part.

The FIRST requirement to vote for any award would always have to be the voter's commitment to vote fairly and impartially on each case, disregarding personal prejudices, which means of course fucking Jay Mariotti could never be allowed to vote for any fucking award, ever.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mariotti also says media not fit to go to the locker room after the game.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I really don't see what the big deal in media voting for awards. There's no ethics being violated, as long as the media members are doing it right.
    I get everyone's pissed about Cushing. Was he the best defensive rookie in the NFL this year? Yep. Did he do PED? Yep. Does it say in the DROY voting that the player who wins can't? Nope.
    Everyone's jumping on their high horse about this and they need to calm ...the ... fuck...down.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's different. Every paper has a clear division between advertising and editorial. So advertising at a ballpark is no problem.

An reporter casting a ballot that could mean a major award for a coach/team/player he covers is -- to some -- a conflict of interest.

I mean we have people here worrying whether they should pull some accident victim out of the road before he is hit by a semi because, well, we're supposed to be observers.

Yet, that person will happily vote for the Heisman trophy or player of the year or whatever.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When players are receiving bonus money for these awards, they better be taken seriously. I personally could care less but it seems like a conflict to me when fanboy beat writers are voting on these things.

If you're are going to have a vote you should also be willing to defend that vote. The fact Mizzou changed his vote because he didn't want to have to explain it is evidence enough that writers should not be voting. Some might say Mizzou just having a vote would be enough evidence.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

What makes a beat writer voting for an award a fanboy?
    And if you vote honestly, why should you have to defend it to someone who doesn't agree with you?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, I tell a personal anecdote as it pertains to the thread and I get a personal attack. I'd expect nothing less from JC.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Lighten up, Zou. That was a funny.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Isn't there a rule in baseball (or maybe it's football) now contractually banning bonuses for awards voted on, by the media?

How about in the Mariotti column how he brags about trying to get Cowley taken off the beat? Mr. Ethics. He doesn't tell about how he personally warred with half the writers at that paper and tried to get them fired, or not hired in the first place.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would say the majority aren't, but you can't tell me that there aren't any.

If you vote honestly and knowledgeably you should have no problem explaining your vote.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From someone else, I would agree. Not from that prick.

Draft saved Draft deleted