1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti re-ups with Sun Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by suburbia, Jun 18, 2008.

1. I don't know. Couch seems like Jay Jr. a lot of days. Rip, rip, rip, rip. Fire, fire, fire. Shred, shred, shred. I think he's a little more surgical with it, obviously. And he takes on some issues with a little more nuance.

2. All the way to the bank, it will. They'll have driven the Sun-Times out of business within five years with their free RedEye tab.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Couch gets major props and a lot of slack from my Chicago sources because of his work on the Cubs' ticket-scalping scandal.

Mariotti gets zero slack and utter disdain from those same folks. And they're working class South Siders, right in the Sun-Times' wheelhouse.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think the Trib has ever fully recovered from the Michael Holley and Skip Bayless experiments. I like Holley a lot and even if you don't like Skip, he's rarely boring.

They never found an adequate replacement for Bernie. Morrissey is an outstanding writer, but columns aren't his strength. Missy never should have been writing columns either. Downey is nowhere close to as good as he was when he was in LA.

A paper that size needs a must-read columnist and they haven't had one in quite some time.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Downey's on cruise control. He can write . . . he's a pro . . . but the passion's wholly absent.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it was an outstanding hire when they made it. Now, not so much.

7. David Haugh should be their columnist.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Agreed. I enjoy his work. And no, whilst I wish I was David, I am not.

Draft saved Draft deleted