1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti: Hawk jinxed Garcia perfect game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Sep 14, 2006.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Yea your right about ESPN breaking the new of the perfecto. I just like to bash Mariotti and Shaughnessy any time I can.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

(Hoping Jay and Hawk fight about this and both injure their mouths).

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

About this time in most such threads, somebody supposedly wiser than us pops up and says Mariotti knows there's no jinx, that he was just writing this so people would get agitated, which they did.

DON'T say it this time. Just don't.

This guy is that much of a tool.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Scoop" Mariotti

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always kind of thought of the guy who, you know, got the hit as the one responsible for really jinxing the no-hitter/perfect game.

Maybe that's just me.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jay Mariotti also wrote columns that said Wade Boggs went 0-for-5 because he didn't eat chicken before a particular game; Curt Schilling did not jump over the foul line during the game in which he hurt his ankle, leading to the bloody sock ALCS appearance, and that Manny Singleton, age 9, stepped on a crack and broke his mother's back on the way home from Belmont-Cragin Elementary School yesterday.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know what is dumber:

Jay writing his column as if Hawk really did ruin the perfect game.

Jay acting as if TV shouldn't try to draw fans to a baseball game in progress by alerting them of a perfect game.

Jay suggesting that Hawk Harrelson be more subtle.

Hey, good luck with that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was watching "For the love of the game" earlier tonight and thought of this thread while listening to Vin Scully, who spoke of COstner's perfect game but not a no-hitter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the superstition for game announcers in a situation like this is you can mention a perfect game, but never mention a no-hitter. Yes/no?

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

It's basically the same, except they don't usually keep you on the phone until much later in the game, since they can just watch in the NY office.

Can't give exact details, since, in 17 seasons as an AP stringer, I've never covered a no-hitter. One triple play, and as of yesterday, two cycles, but no no-nos.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Mariotti is a dumbass for writing that column. I usually don't call other writers names, but in this instance, it's asinine to assume that Garcia would have finished with a perfect game had Hawk not mentioned it. How many people in the stadium mentioned it before he blurted that on the air? On press row? Watching TV at home? Listening in their cars?

If you're calling a game, you have an obligation to tell the viewers (or listeners) what exactly is going on. If you don't do that, then you've failed to do your job. Had Hawk waited until Garcia threw a perfect game before he mentioned that, some viewers might have never realized that they were watching a perfect game was in progress. It's like what editors say about the readers -- never assume that they know all the facts, spell it out for them.

To actually believe that one person's comment can lose a perfect game is ridiculous. Players might be superstitious, but you certainly don't have to be.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Sounds like a fun place to work.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Eddie gets more shallow and sophomoric, by the month.

He may as wel start going after Dusty, big-time . . . he's an easy target, and deserves it.

Draft saved Draft deleted