1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti has heart surgery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He had to have a big head to hold all that hair.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's interesting some of the parallels of how people talk about Mariotti and how people talk about Simmons.

Both are able to crank out, at will, thousands of words at a time on a subject without always having to go through the bother of stepping in a locker room. And they can seemingly do this as much as they're called upon to do so. The major difference is Simmons' use of humor vs. Mariotti's use of bile.

Both aren't well-loved by their journalistic colleagues, who scratch their heads over these guys' popularity.

Is the question about them, are they any good? Or is the question really along the same lines as, can 50 million Elvis fans be wrong? They're obviously doing something to connect with readers, or else they still wouldn't be getting all these gigs and paychecks.

My guess at Mariotti's popularity is the same as my guess at Simmons'. Fans love to read them because, in every piece, they exude passion. They appear to give a crap as much as fans do. In either case, I don't think it's an act, or else they each would have burned out a long time ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted