1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti has heart surgery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Jan 5, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Only thing Jay is missing is the $750 per day for Around the Horn.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Whoa ... you've just been a little dickwheezle on every one of your 15 posts, haven't you?

dickwheezle (DIK-wezul) (n): One who wheezes while munching on male genitalia.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Munching? Oh my!

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Doesn't have to be humans, either; it can be lions or tigers or bears. ;)

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know if Jay is reading this, but I will offer a bit of advice for him, given that my dad's heart troubles began with an angioplasty at 48 (in 1990).

1. Follow your doctors' orders TO THE LETTER. I believe my dad was told to avoid lifting and stay off his feet for eight weeks. At week six, going a bit stir crazy, he figured it would be no problem to mow his lawn with the riding mower. But he was doubled over in pain for a while after that -- he didn't account for the vibrations of the mower. So stay off your feet.

2. If there's some lifestyle thing you can do to cut down your risk of another procedure, do it. My dad quit smoking for a while, then resumed it, and within six years he was back in the hospital for a sextuple bypass. But then he did the same thing -- quit smoking for a while, then resumed it. Last year he had to have a stent put it. And the only reason he was alive to get it was because his little Maltese dog was licking like crazy to get the sweat off his face in the middle of the night.

3. Related to No. 1 and 2, if you feel tempted to backslide, think not only of someone cracking your chest open and stopping your heart for a while, but also think of the people you would leave behind. My dad sometimes justified what he did by "I'd rather enjoy a short life and than not enjoy a long one," but that's a very selfish way to think. Fortunately, my dad has changed his tune, and looks better than he has in years at the age of 64.

Believe me, an angioplasty doesn't mean one-and-done. From here on out, you have to watch your heart like crazy.

6. fishwrapper

Outstanding and sapient advice.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that has potential shot, real potential.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was outstanding.

9. fishwrapper

BYH,
    Short L.A. Express story. The Express had to play one game at Pierce College because for some reason the Coliseum was unavailbale. I happen to go with my father. The Express had so many injuries at RB, Steve Young played the entire second half at running back. He was damn good.
    What a league.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That dickwheezle inspired me.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I miss the USFL. I remember a game at Soldier Field: the original Blitz against Denver. I think Denver was the Gold, or something equally "original."

Anyway, it's mid-March, and there is the classic blizzard blowing through. On TV, it was hard to see jack.

So Denver scores in the final seconds to win the game. Its players pile on top of each other in the end zone, oblivious to the weather. That may have been the first time I used a non-PC entendre during a game.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

here's a breakfast recipe for jay - from the website of a swedish fitness babe:

When I was a kid my mother gave me porridge every morning. Oatmeal. I hated it, I wanted cream of rice with jelly and sugar. “You’re not having any of that, go eat your oats with milk. Plain.” It’s so funny that my favourite meal for the last 8 years is oatmeal! Here’s my breakfast:

thick thick oats

way too much wheat bran

flax seeds (uncrushed)

I boil this in the microwave for 7 minutes in a huge ceramic bowl. Then I add:

egg whites

cinnamon

loads of stevia

Boil it for another 6 minutes and then let it cool for a couple of hours.

Last ingredients is whey protein in a vanilla flavour. I also add guar guam to make it thicker. And more sweetness from Stevia. I use like ten packs.:) The one with inulin in it.

I love this breakfast. It looks like a vomit but it tastes like heaven! I’m happy I don’t mind not eating with my eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted