1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti calls out Whitlock, Wilbon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by More hideous than Ben Seaver, Dec 6, 2007.

1. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

"But as I stood there in the snow, taxi waiting, a thought tugged at me: We need to get a grip about athletes, idolatry and the assumption we know these people when we really don't."

Mariotti is a columnist with a moronic gimmick (his newspaper asks "Can you handle more Mariotti?)
    Doesn't Mariotti fill his columns with "assumptions" when he hardly knows the people he tears a new one on a daily basis?

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I agree, on the pros and the cons. With this addition on the debit side: All those flip-flops.

As a writer, though, terrific.

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

The fact of the matter is Jay doesn't do any reporting in his columns. He's not interested in making a phone call. He just pops off and hopes for the best. He possibly would have proved his point if he actually made an attempt to talk to the families of the young men that allegedly shot Taylor. But no, he simply goes off what others have written and already reported. Do some actual work and present some substance.

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I don't understand how anyone can be blamed for wondering if Sean Taylor’s past caught up to him.

Anyone who declared a definition connection was wronger than two left shoes. But it was only natural to think someone might’ve had a beef with Taylor, whose SUV was riddled with bullets not that long ago.

He apparently turned away from that lifestyle. But it found him anyway.

And I suppose Whitlock would say the suspects in fact do qualify as members in the B-KKK

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wilbon was more than half-right. The alleged shooter's myspace page has him posing on a bed covered with money, and said his hobby was "counting money." Sounds like he was embracing a certain culture.
    And Mariotti is probably pissed that he wasn't the first one to rush to judgment.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Capitalism?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thug:

[​IMG]

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I actually agree with him, and love the fastball analogy.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nice post, newb. couldn't have said it better.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find it odd that Whitlock and Wilbon are being singled out. I know Stephen A. Smith was quoted by Cowherd that the shooting was "obviously personal." There have been plenty of white journalists that said the same types of things regarding Taylor. Should black journalists be held to a higher standard on this case? Are white journalists that ignorant that they believe there is some secret pipeline of information only available to black journalists?
    There is no problem with a columnist expressing an informed opinion, but they should be able to take criticism when their opinion is proven to be wrong.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

bill's roids kicked in.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I saw the myspace photo. A 17 year old wasn't getting fistfuls of $100 bills on his paper route.

Draft saved Draft deleted