1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti Back in Chicago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BMuddMan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

But you don't have to devote time and resources to crappy teams out of season when the Bulls and Blackhawks are in the playoffs, the Cubs and Sox are playing daily and the Bears are preparing for the draft. I'm sure the college coverage will ramp up at the appropriate time.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

True, but if I remember correctly, weren't they initially looking for part-time people to put this thing together to get it launched?

It's a good idea -- if done right. Gotta spend money to make money. I know, easy to say in these dark days, but invest properly in the product and grow it.

Make the site THE go-to place for sports in Chicago (and elsewhere, eventually). But you have to put in the resources to grow it.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure which thread to post this on, this one or the one about the Tribune's massive cuts. But for once, I'm rooting for an ESPN project to succeed. What better time to open shop in Chicago as an online sports authority than the week that the Tribune throws a bunch of sports staffers overboard? It's as if Sam Zell is surrendering a huge chunk of his audience to a national Web site that has decided to set up in his backyard.

Can actually root for the WWL over The Grave Dancer. Who'd a thunk it?

4. I'm proud to say I've never read anything by Jay Mariotti, and I never will.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some info on this ESPNChicago thing:

http://www.mediabistro.com/webnewser/the_new_new_thing/espnchicagocom_launches_monday_113687.asp?c=rss

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Done correctly, and since this is ESPN we're talking about it won't be, a website like this could destroy a local newspaper's sports section in terms of coverage.

Given the state of the job market you could put together incredibly strong college and prep departments that I think would drive a significant amount of traffic to the site.

The DFW market would be ripe for something like this right now.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A lot of markets would be ripe for something like this right now.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chuck Swirsky? HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Draft saved Draft deleted