1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti Back in Chicago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BMuddMan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Hearing from my ChiTown pals Mariotti will be back in the market most likely with the new ESPNChicago.com site. He's been apparently teasing on some local television and radio stations in town. Anyone know more?

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

He could write for ESPN.com AND for AOL? (I assume he still is with AOL.)

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He is for those of you still on dial-up. :D

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

He writes a text-only page/column for Prodigy, too.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

But he passed on CompuServe.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

And I thought espnchicago was actually off to a decent start.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've been hearing that the ESPNchicago site isn't going over real well with locals, especially when it comes to their college and prep content, or lack thereof.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I kind of like it. It's not exactly must see for me or anything, but they have a good take on pro stuff. But yeah, very little on Notre Dame, I've seen nothing on Northwestern or DePaul and very little of UofI. Also haven't seen any preps.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Notre Dame, Northwestern and DePaul all suck to varying degrees, so that may have something to do with it.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well yeah, but if your name is espnCHICAGO, you have to cover them. You need to cover preps, UIC, and U of I too.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's obvious that espnchicago, right now, is a storefront for pro coverage (all which can be pulled from the espn.com mothership) and promoting the radio station. Not the dumbest startup strategy, really. You're not going to get 20,000 hits on a UIC story and doing preps right would be more labor-intensive than they probably want to take on right now. And local columnists like Wojo and Scoop were on the payroll already.

But seeing the direction the papers are going, that site could grow into something plenty big.

12. They could put together a pretty good preps/college crew immediately, based on the Trib's cuts today.

Draft saved Draft deleted