1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariota or Winston?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Now that the award has become like the NFL MVP, reserved for quarterbacks on winning teams, it will produce even more flops. That trend started in 1992 with Geno Toretta. He was like maybe the 10th best player on that Miami team, but he was the quarterback.
    People complain about we baseball Hall of Fame voters and not without reason, but we're James Madison's dream of an informed electorate compared to the Heisman posse.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I bitch about the Heisman voting every year, but how often do they actually get it wrong?

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a few. Crouch over Grossman immediately jumps to mind. There were voters who left him off the ballot because he was a sophomore.

Guillermo likes this.
  4. JackReacher

Not often, though, right?

5. RecoveringJournalist

I had a vote for five years.

I voted for Heupel (which in hindsight was a mistake on my part), Grossman, Palmer, Fitzgerald and Leinart.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wouldn't take either one at the top. I'd go another position.

But I'd take Mariota before I'd take Winston, who has "off the field problem child" written all over him.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think a lot. Too much money invested to go with a guy who you can't count on. He'd be worth a lower-round pick if he's available, but no way in hades would I touch him in the first two rounds if I was a GM.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Just hire a babysitter to watch him, and make sure he gets all the sex and seafood he wants.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Even if Winston goes No. 1, which he very well might, I don't see it as investing that much in him.

That's the beauty of the rookie salary structure. If he's a bust, it doesn't cripple a team the way it did with JaMarcus Russell or Sam Bradford.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I don't know if Lovie will take a chance on Winston. What I heard the other day makes some sense. Hire Trestman and try to be competitive with McCown while easing in Mariota.

11. JackReacher

Anyone want to make a stupid, fake, no-consequences bet? I say the Bucs pass on a QB all together with the first overall pick.

12. RecoveringJournalist

I'm guessing that's what he does. It's the much safer route. Trestman would be a good addition down there.

It would be kind of funny to have the two most recent fired Bears coaches together in Tampa. Maybe Jauron can be the DC. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted