1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariota or Winston?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 6, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Has he done it at any level? I remember hearing those same concerns raised about Joe Flacco because Delaware only used the shotgun when hew as there. It was also brought up with Roethlisberger.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In today's NFL the whole idea of a QB not taking a snap under center is over blown. For
    many of today's NFL teams the concern would be the other way around. There are
    teams using the gun for 70 -75 % of their plays

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Every time I see this debate I'm struck by how many people -- even in the national media -- haven't watched Mariota play. Shaun King thinks Winston will be better than Mariota because Winston is 6'4"? Perhaps he should look up Mariota's size. He doesn't think Mariota plays well in big games? The Ducks scored 59 in the Rose Bowl against a team that was undefeated for two years.

They're both damn good quarterbacks. I think they both have the potential to be very good in the NFL. I would take Mariota ahead of Winston, and every single mock draft I've seen -- outside of Shaun King's brilliant take -- has Mariota ahead of Winston. There are reasons for that, and they're not all because Winston is kind of rapey.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think they go 1-2, for no real reason other than both teams picking 1-2 need quarterbacks and there's a lot of value in taking a QB in the first round.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

6. JackReacher

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That story is citing an ESPN report that quoted Winston's dad.

Winston's dad runs his mouth a lot, but I don't think he really knows what's in his son's head. No one really does.

The truth of the matter is that Winston REALLY likes playing baseball. The strength of the baseball program is a major reason he went to FSU over Alabama and Auburn.

If he can hammer out the logistics of playing baseball at FSU and still get in the necessary pre-draft workouts and meetings, I think he comes out.

8. JackReacher

Yeah. I'd still wager on him declaring for the draft. But wasn't there a story last year about him always intending on playing three years of football?

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

ESPN's David Hale says Winston is going pro.

10. JackReacher

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

12. JackReacher

Last I heard from Hale was that Winston's dad told him he'd make a decision after the title game.

Edit: Just saw your link.

Draft saved Draft deleted