1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marion Jones signs with WNBA team in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

Cool or not cool?

Discuss...

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

How's their dental plan?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If Mark McGwire can drug up and then lie about it in his return to baseball, Marion Jones can do whatever the hell she wants.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

The biggest surprise of the story for me was that the team in Detroit had moved to Tulsa, and had Nolan Richardson as its coach.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It was either that, or more prison.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

After moving the franchise, they spent several months in intensive study to come up with an appropriate name. As the excitement and anticipation over the dynamic new appellation reached a thunderous fever pitch, it was announced six or eight weeks ago. In case you didn't notice (nobody did), here it is:

http://www.wnba.com/shock/news/shock_naming.html

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

What's worse, a female prison or a WNBA locker room?

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Are there any financially viable WNBA franchises?

I know the Houston Comets folded a couple of years ago, Detroit has now moved to Tulsa, and Sacramento's franchise isn't in Sacramento anymore. This means that the teams responsible 8 of the 13 WNBA champions are either not in existence or have moved to a new city.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the Connecticut Sun are doing OK, but I think they're also drafting off UConn's heat to a large degree.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Of the 8 original franchises, who's left? L.A., New York and Phoenix. Charlotte, Cleveland and Houston don't exist in any form. Utah moved to San Antonio. I don't know if Sacramento is considered defunct or just inactive. Independent baseball leagues have less change than this.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, the Shock was probably about as viable a franchise as any (i.e., they lost less money than most franchises; they had the fourth-highest attendance in the league in 2009). Mainly, after the death of Pistons owner Bill Davidson, his widow was looking to sell off pieces of the Palace empire one by one for whatever they could bring, and the Tulsa group was looking to buy.

I give the league about two more years.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted