1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marion Jones is broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your second graph answers your question.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

She's done so little racing -- that I'm aware of -- over the past five years or so, it wouldn't seem like there's much money coming in.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't she go to Rio Mesa? I worked at the P-T in LBC and covered several meets she ran in. I remember interviewing her when she was a sophomore at the Arcadia Invitational, after she blew out Inger Miller in the 100. She was so bubbly and charming and vivacious. Goddamn, was she fast.

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Playboy layout for megabucks in 5 ...4......3.....2....

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I doubt it. Go back and look at how badly the SportsJournalists.com membership cuisinarted Amanda Beard for her photo spread. Marion would fare even worse.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Yeah, I'm sure she'll be thinking about the SportsJournalists.com readership reaction when they come to repo her car :D

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Damn.

Guess she won't be making that trip to the dentist any time soon.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(YES, THAT WAS A CHEAP SHOT).

But I can't help but dislike an athlete who had so much hype, and continually got into bed - literally - with 'roid freaks. I'm not heartbroken that an athlete who accomplished so much, yet somehow kept finding a way to associate with those who would stain sports and thus stain her, has hit on hard times. I wouldn't put her in the uber-prick category of a Bonds, of course.

8. blueview

blueview Member

It was Sean Combs, of all the people in the world, who said it best - "Mo' money, mo' problems."
    Well, in Ms. Jones' case, no money. Not a good scene.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

She went to Rio Mesa as a freshman, then transfered to Thousand Oaks, where she starred on the basketball team as well as becoming one of the most dominant track athletes in state history.

And yes, she was effin fast and fairly fun to talk to in my limited dealings.

10. Boognish

Boognish Member

Dude, I couldn't get by that first part where it said she's got about 2,000 dollars in her account. Don't sound like she's too broke to me. Hard to feel all that bad about someone who's got three times as much as you do in their bank account, even if they used to own a mansion. Scratch that, especially if they used to own a mansion.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought the headline should be "Gold digger is broke-broke" :)

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Saving money is a foreign concept to many people.

Did she think she was going to be sprinting when she was 45?

Did she think to actually try and earn a degree while she was at UNC? Jordan went there, and I think he has managed his money pretty well.

Too many of these athletes came from families that had no money, and once they have money, they have no idea how to keep it.

The other end of the spectrum is Keyshawn (I really do not feel like looking up how he decides to spell his name) Johnson. I read or heard once that he has made more money in real estate then he ever did in the NFL. Now that he has some time on his hands, the NFL should hire him to show these young athletes how to manage their money.

Draft saved Draft deleted