1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marion Jones is broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If this is a d_b, deal with it:

http://sports.aol.com/news/articles/_a/olympic-gold-medalist-jones-nearly-broke/20070624230709990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Nostradamus had to have some sort of saying about this.

Something like, "A house built with performance-enhancing straw is sucseptible to being blown to the ground."

I hope she recovers. I interviewed her when BALCO was at its hottest and she was a little bit of a bitch. I guess I understand.

3. Moderator1

I haven't dealt with her since the shit hit the fan but every dealing I had with her beforehand was tremendous. Exceedingly pleasant and helpful. Remembered me one time after five years. Now has less money than I do, which is VERY sad.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They say the first million is always the toughest.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The strange part is she was easily the most obnoxious and classless person on the University of North Carolina's women's team back when I was at the Women's ACC Tournament when she played for Sylvia Hatchell. Taunted and used language not exactly fit for the family hour. Not necessarily inappropriate for an athlete on the court, but not at all befitting the description of the person you encountered, Moddy.

I hope that means she grew up.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I had no idea steroids were THAT expensive.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Sad to see, but she seems to make a lot of bad decisions (certainly when it comes to men). Back in 1996, who would have thought the past decade-plus would be what it has been for her.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Looking forward to William Rhoden's column on the tragedy and why she's not to blame, but everyone else is.

9. Moderator1

Well, my first dealings with her came when she was a freshman on that team. Saw her play 8 or so times, never noticed any of that. Spent a long, long chunk of time with her away from the court for a story and never saw a sign of it either.
    That doesn't mean you are wrong - just saying I never saw it.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I remember dealing with her as a freshman on the national championship team in 1994. Seemed like a decent kid; I ever joked with her about having to roll up the NCAA banner on the sideline after the game; you win a national title, seems like someone else can do that work.

Too bad.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You make an impression...

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

She went to high school here in SoCal and I dealt with her very little in a couple of events: the state track meet (where she was a four-time state champion in one of the sprints) and in a second-round playoff basketball game where her Thousand Oaks HS team played one of our teams.

Nothing really negative in either dealing, but over the last decade, the decision-making has been suspect (from C.J. Hunter to BALCO to this latest revelation) to say the least.

Outside of (I presume) attorneys, where did the money go? Wasn't she making 80 grand a race? Geez, find a money manager. Visit a Fidelity branch. Put it under your mattress... something.

Draft saved Draft deleted