1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariners tie record for most pitchers in a no-hitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Likewise, it didn't really strike me to hold on and get that in with PORA. Oh, well. Got it on the website. :)

That Stephen Pryor kid was wild last night, but he has filthy stuff. He's hitting triple figures pretty regularly.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How many no-hitters is that this season? Something like four? Used to be you'd be lucky to get 1-2 per season. Now, it's not such a big deal anymore... especially when it takes half the pitching staff to close the deal.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Three no-hitters, one perfect game so far.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's only the 10th combined no-hitter in major league history. Nothing special.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

::)

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Buck,

Isn't that at least largely because the starter usually stays to finish the deal? Heck, if I've got a no-hitter going it's going to take something life-threatening to get me out of there.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, the starter usually stays in to finish. Which is why this is so rare. And I'm glad you know you'd be more stubborn about staying in than a major league pitcher who's already thrown a no-hitter and who's known for being pretty durable.

As to the point you made on the running thread, there is no evidence that more injuries are happening today than they did 40 years ago. (What is happening, however, is that players are staying on the DL longer for said injuries. But that's as much because teams are cautiously protecting their multimillion-dollar investments as it is because players are "wusses.")

Except for career-threatening injuries like Koufax and Score and Conigliaro, we don't remember (or, in many cases, never knew about) all the nagging problems players faced on a day-to-day basis in previous generations. But a ton of pitchers retired early, or were ineffective after their mid-20s, due to persistent shoulder or elbow injuries. It's one area of studying baseball that no one has ever been able to find a solution for.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Too many players staying on the DL for too long, I agree. Also too many players worried about the long haul and cashing cheques well into their 40s as opposed to trying to maximize a few short years at their peak.

And, less, salaries for mediocre pitchers are ridiculous.

9. KYSportsWriter

Did you not read any of the stories on this? Millwood got hurt and they didn't want to risk further injury.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I mentioned that on another thread. I don't know how serious the injury is. I would hope it's pretty damn serious if the guy is leaving a game in the middle of a no-hitter.

Interesting question someone posed: Would you rather win 20 games as a pitcher or win 7 and one of them be a no-hitter? I'll take the no-hitter and crappy overall record.... you get remembered longer for that.

11. KYSportsWriter

As B-Dub told me earlier this spring, a no-hitter is a no-hitter (or perfect game) no matter how many pitchers are used.

And like I said, they didn't want to risk Millwood -- who, by the way, isn't very young nowadays -- getting hurt worse.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just as a Q rating test, here's the last pitcher to win 20 games for each franchise, courtesy Chris Jaffe:

Now here's the last no-hitter thrown by each franchise, courtesy Retrosheet:

Which list has the most recognizable names?

Draft saved Draft deleted