1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariners cutting out Tacoma News Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, May 12, 2010.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm sorry but it IS a big deal if a franchise icon is not available to do his job because he's sleeping. Yes, guys go to the clubhouse to use the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, watch an inning on TV, but you can be damn sure they are available if needed for the game.

Now, you can question whether Griffey was really unavailable. Maybe he expected someone would wake him up if he was needed. The fact is that two people told LaRue that Griffey was unavailable because he was sleeping (not just that he was sleeping), and that's what LaRue reported.

He's absolutely gotta run the story.

I doubt the M's players are going to maintain their boycott for too long. These things happen and they blow over.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mike Sweeney's a big God guy, right? He must have been re-enacting that scene where Jesus says "All right bitches, who dropped a dime? It's on."

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I agree that he's got to go with the story, but why the unnamed sources? There's always potential trouble when you go that route. Ask John Tomase.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

An extra-inning game at Wrigley, Lasorda was forced to use Fernando in the outfield because nobody could find Bobby Welch, who was asleep in the clubhouse, which was quite a hike from the dugout.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Except this guy used Griffey's teammates, who you'd think have a good reputation; Tomase used random people barely associated with what was going on.

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Don't know LaRue, but I'm with him 100 percent. The fact that athletes don't get the fact that journalists aren't promoters never ceases to amaze me. And if the reports are true, totally lost respect for Cliff Lee. If he wants to honor the LaRue boycott, so be it. They're not obligated to talk to the dude. But cutting off an entire press conference is classless and beyond asinine.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

The Mariners are completely over reacting to something silly...who cares if Griffey was sleeping...give it a chuckle and move on. Geesh.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Wrong. It's Griffey who slept in the yolk and is wearing it. And I guarantee you LaRue will still be getting stuff from the players – and again on the QT.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Must have been during Welch's hard drinking days.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No, he was a former drunk by then. He did the party scene, but didn't drink.

11. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

No player is going to put his name to the Griffey-was-unavailable-because-he-was-asleep story, and a lot of them will go along with the boycott even if they believe or know the story to be accurate. Solidarity trumps truth in a baseball clubhouse. If you didn't know that before, you should have learned it during the steroids era.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mountain out of a molehill. So he was sleeping? Big deal. Hardly worth a story or even a note item, unless it somehow affected the game, which both Griffey and the manager claim it did not. A veteran guy like LaRue should know you don't need to print everything you see or hear in a clubhouse, in the first place.

But at least I respect him for not outing his sources. It would only make the situation worse, as the veteran guys who make life hell for whatever youngster gave him the info.

No one stood up to fight Sweeney? Hardly surprising. Would you stand up in a meeting of 25 of your peers and admit to ratting on one of them. Even if I did, I sure the hell wouldn't admit it.

Draft saved Draft deleted