1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marine veteran's anti-government FB posts lead to police action

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hokie_pokie, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Yet another First Amendment dust-up, this time in my neck of the woods.

Also, a disclaimer: I'm not looking to start crap about the political side of this story.

Just thought it would make an interesting topic for discussion by people who operate under the same constitutional protections that apparently weren't afforded to the ex-Marine in this story.

Here's the link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/brandon-j-raub-marine-detained_n_1817484.html

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Freedom of speech, not freedom from consequences.

Some people need to read the Bill of Rights a little closer.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What I've learned from a friend of mine who is a Secret Service agent: if the agency catches wind of someone talking violently or threatening action against someone the Secret Service is protecting, an agent will call to find out more. In most cases, the Secret Service determines the person is a harmless loon, and goes back to its business. That this guy was arrested tells me there's more to this than a guy who is just saying bad things.

At least, I hope so.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yeah. Not a constitutional abridgment.

5. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

He wasn't arrested. That's one of the interesting things about his case.

He's been held at the psychiatric hospital against his will for the next 30 days on the basis of what he said to the local cops who came to interview him. None of his comments have been released to the public. His mother, brother and friends insist he's not the least bit crazy.

Personally, I think the local authorities overreacted because they were guarding against even the slightest possibility that this guy could pull another Aurora or Sikh Temple.

Upon further review, his FB posts are no more loony or anti-government than a bunch of other stuff I see on FB every day.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A judge ordered him released today

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2012/aug/23/14/judge-says-he-will-order-release-marine-veteran-he-ar-2151347/

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ironic thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted