1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marijuana will save your life? Aww, that's too bad.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Mar 14, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Buckdub, I like you a lot. You contribute a lot with your posts.

But you know what they say about when you assume?

Every last sentence in that post is incorrect in the situations of which I speak. I shouldn't post more personal details here, but I'd love a PM if you want to hear explanations and justification for why I correctly used "factor."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even the Bruce Springsteen part was wrong?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's OK, CR. I'm not trying to drag this out.

But you reasoned that you opposed the law because your friends have abused it. You even said it was your "main reason." I say, your reasoning is suspect, that's all.

That's like saying because middle-schoolers steal cigarettes from convenience stores, nobody should have access to tobacco products.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

A different take on the same topic:

I was a huge stoner in my early/mid 20s. I've also gone though times in my life when I drank way, way too much. I'm not proud of those facts, but they give me a pretty good position for comparing/contrasting the two drugs.

When looking at marijuana and alcohol, there is no contest as to which drug is more destructive to one's life. Alcohol. It's not even close. The dumb things I've done while drunk I wouldn't even mention here because they're too embarassing. Dumb things I did while stoned? Eating two tubs of hummus and a whole package of pita bread probably tops the list.

Smoking weed's bad for your lungs. It fucks with your short-term memory and saps your motivation. All true. But to say weed should be illegal because of its ill effects seems awful silly in light of alcohol's legality. Alcohol is so much more destructive and dangerous.

Our weed-hatred is based on our cultural comfort zone, not facts, IMO.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank.
    You.
    Writing.
    Irish.

Truer words couldn't have been said.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Shut up and pass the hummus, Double-A.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also based on the aforementioned lack of Big Pharm profits in the marijuana industry.

The day that Pfizer benefits from weed is the day it becomes legal.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If Big Pharm could profit from weed, it would.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, I'm pretty sure they could make a killer-ass profit on it. Ask any pothead. They'd be willing to spend quite a bit on legal weed.

Not that I'd know that myself. But I'm sure your local pothead would agree.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I wouldn't pay a huge amount for it, but I'd certainly buy it on occasion. The reason I quit using it was because it's illegal.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Prices would lower dramatically from 'street value' if weed were legal. But there would still be plenty of market for it, and plenty of profits to spread around.

Only reason it's such a big deal is because it's illegal. Alcohol was treated differently in this country for the same reason -- we are currently living in Prohibition II, and it's just as much of a farce and failure as the first one was.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The only way pharmaceutical companies make a dime on legal pot is if it requires a prescription and only pharmaceutical companies are allowed to grow it. If it's simply legalized, what's to stop everyone and their grandmother from growing their own?

Draft saved Draft deleted