1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marijuana will save your life? Aww, that's too bad.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Mar 14, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Something is seriously, seriously wrong with this country's laws when shit such as this happens.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/dying-woman-loses-marijuana-appeal/20070314133209990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Can someone explain to me the reasoning here. Please?

I'm not a big weed guy. In fact, I've had the stuff like twice in my life and didn't really care for it. I don't give a shit if the drug is ever legalized or not. But in cases like this, how do you deny this woman a right to this drug? I mean, WTF is wrong with people?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If a pharmaceutical company had developed marijuana, it would have been legal yesterday.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What's worse, Dog, is that some of the people who tried to help buyers clubs got busted and faced incredibly serious sentences, like 15 to 20 years.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Such an absolutely sad, yet true, statement about how much Big Pharm runs this country.

5. But...what will we tell the children?

6. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Bottom line: the federal government doesn't see one ounce ( ::)) of medical value in marijuana.

Having lived the first 18 of my 19 years in the undisputed weed capital of the entire United States, I know very well how often and easily Proposition 215 is abused. I can't even count how many of my friends went to the notoriously shady doctor in town with $120, mentioned nonexistant back pain and soon began buying their pot "legally" at the cannabis club several times a week. Although it took me awhile to reach a conclusion, that is the main reason I finally decided I disagree with the law.

On the other hand, you have this woman with multiple ailments and a legitimate reason. She's not abusing the system to get high for fun like so many people I grew up with. She's trying to live out her life in less pain than she would be otherwise.

There's no sensible justification for this ruling.

7. Who gives a damn?
    So they smoke it for "back pain." It's still safer than a lot of pharmaceuticals they're peddling on TV.

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I care because a lot of them are close friends who didn't leave town after graduating high school and are either not going to school, attending community college or struggling at a small state university. They'll even admit, marijuana is a major factor in that.

But I hear your point.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They may say that marijuana is a major factor, but like so many things in life, there are many more factors which play a role.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Marijuana is an excuse. It is not a factor. Huge, huge difference.

There is not a place in this country where you cannot find yourself a hook-up, if you want to. To say that they didn't leave town because of marijuana? Total, total bullshit.

People don't leave town after high school because they don't know where else to go, or they don't have anywhere else to go, or they stop looking for anywhere else to go. Listen to any Bruce Springsteen song of the last 30 years, jesus fucking christ.

To say that they are struggling at college because of marijuana? Kids, including myself, struggle at college every damn day. That's on them, not on pot.

And none of this has anything to do with Prop 215 users being wrongfully prosecuted by the federal government, or whether Prohibition II, against marijuana, has been any less of an embarrassing failure than Prohibition I, against alcohol.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with Alley. That's just the pot talking.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hey! Can you see into my screen? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted