1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marietta Daily Journal sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jbednarowski, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jbednarowski

jbednarowski New Member

For the first time in four years we have an opening at the MDJ.
    The position is part time, 30 hours a week over four days.
    Here is the ad we posted on journalismjobs.com

A suburban-metro Atlanta daily newspaper is looking for a permanent part-time sports writer and page designer to help cover 27 high schools and four universities for a APSE award winning sports section.
    This individual must have at least two years of reporting experience at a daily newspaper or comparable media outlet.
    We are looking for a focused and organized individual with strong writing and communication skills who can seek out and generate compelling stories and design eye-catching pages.
    This individual must also be a team player who can work well with the sports editor and staff, and possess the demonstrated ability to turn around a story on a tight deadline.
    Please include a cover letter and resume, clips of your best game story, feature and enterprise piece along with design samples.

Send information electronically to John Bednarowski at sportseditor@mdjonline.com or by regular mail at:

John Bednarowski
    c/o the Marietta Daily Journal
    580 S. Fairground St.
    Marietta, Ga. 30060

No phone calls please.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know it's a permanent part time position but is there a chance that role could become full time?

3. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Can't find a better guy in the business than John. He's great people and does great work.

4. jbednarowski

jbednarowski New Member

There is always the possibility one of my other guys could leave and open up a full-time spot, but I certainly wouldn't make any promises or guarantees. I'll be there six years in November -- two of my guys predate me and the others have been there at least four years.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, John, I'm an MDJ survivor (from long, long ago) and my feelings about and memories of the place are well documented on many threads here (to recap -- it was a hell-hole owned and run by a psychotic, racist dictator with delusions of grandeur). So I'm very curious: Now that the wicked witch (Otis) is dead, how have things changed/will things change there? And who is running the paper now?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Doubt it. That's a classic way for businesses to get out of paying for benefits. Make them part time, give them a full-time workload in 30 hours and rack up the savings.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know that's the ploy but one can always hope.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Keep hope alive, Drip!

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Amen to that. And here's hoping that the working environment there is much as well.

10. Just so we're clear, you're asking someone with two years of experience to come take a part-time, presumably benefit-free job?

Got it.

11. jbednarowski

jbednarowski New Member

black dude with pompano,

I take it you won't be applying, and that's fair.
    I wish I could offer a full-time position, but I can't. I posted the job because I thought it might be of interest to someone, and so far, we have gotten good response.

12. jbednarowski

jbednarowski New Member

Da man,

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience here at the MDJ. I obviously don't know what your working conditions were, but I can say this, in my six years working with Otis he let me do my job without interference. He was always polite to me and we have consistently put out, what I would like to think is, a quality product.
    All those things you accuse him of, I never saw any of them in my department. And, whether you ever agreed with him or not, we buried him a few days ago, so please, as a personal favor, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted