1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariano Rivera torn ACL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, May 4, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He's 42 years old and near the end of of the line, anyways, I think that's why some folks are assuming this means the end. Obviously he can come back in 2013 if he puts in the work, but is it really worth it starting over on a rebuilt knee at 43 when you've absolutely nothing left to prove and nowhere to go but down?

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

On Twitter, he says he's coming back.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Zeke, he says to write it in big letters. So, RIVERA IS COMING BACK.

Good to hear, and hopefully he actually can.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If Rivera wants to try and comeback after this, I don't think they will turn their backs on him. They'll sign him to a one-year deal and he'll end his career on a more positive note.

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

He is going to be awful if he attempts to come back. He will not be able to consistently deliver his cutter with that balky knee. He might actually hurt himself much worse. At his age recovery time will be double that of a younger player which would put him at about a year from now till he would be able to return to action. It takes up to two years for a player in their 20's to regain all the strength and flexibility back in the joint after surgery. At his age it would be never. He will never be the same and most likely will suffer major set backs and further injuries to his other knee and ankles.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Based on the placement on SI.com and, most likely, ESPN this is the biggest fucking story in the world.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

He must, and will, make it back.

The saves record is not out of reach. If I'm Trevor Hoffman, I'm gearing up to make a comeback. He's only 7 saves behind Rivera. Yes, he struggled in his final season but he was lights out the year before that.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm guessing if George was still alive, Brett Myers would already be on a plane to New York.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

after racking up 7 saves for the Astros? maybe if Houston had Papelbon or someone with a bit of time as a closer, but i wouldn't make Myers closer over Robertson or Soriano. not that Robertson has ever been a closer but as an 8th inning guy the last 2 seasons he's been better than Myers as starter/reliever. Soriano had 45 saves 2 years ago.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

You're getting no argument from me. I'd put Soriano in that role, because I find the closer role to be a waste of a good reliever. They should keep Robertson for the high-leverage situations and let Soriano wrack up those easy two and three run saves to justify him being paid more than most closers.

Replace Brett Myers' name with any mediocre middle-aged closer from a non-contender.My point was, the Yankees used to go find veterans to fill needs, even if they had the answers to their needs already in the organization. Now, they'll actually use the guys they have.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

they definitely did go that route but i think steinbrenner changed a little when they built the world series teams in the 90s, of course they still did sign 1 or 2 of the top free agents each season but they started giving guys more of a chance. at the start of the season when Rivera had his press conference Robertson and Soriano must've been thinking this year was a competition for next year's closer. wonder if Joba Chamberlain tries to come back quicker now. hard to think he can pitch this season but that's his plan.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Addie Joss. Died at 31 of tuberculous meningitis before the 1911 season. Pitched two no-hitters and four 20-win seasons in 9 years. Career ERA of 1.89. Would have been a sure Hall of Famer if he lived, and he was eventually elected by the Vets Committee.

Goose Goslin supposedly hurt his back in mid-swing and had to be lifted for a pinch-hitter in the middle of his final plate appearance. (That's probably apocryphal, though.)

I'd argue that Sandy Koufax probably could not have continued much past '66, unless Dr. Frank Jobe would have invented TJ surgery for him a few years earlier (and Koufax's career being cut short by the elbow injury is what haunted Jobe and inspired him to try the experimental new procedure with John. He's always wished he would have thought of the idea for Koufax instead.)

Draft saved Draft deleted