1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariano Rivera torn ACL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, May 4, 2012.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Obviously it's in the baseball thread but figured he deserved his own.

Since moving to NYC in 2004, I've seen seven Yankees home games and Rivera got the save in every one of them. The music, the jog, the crowd - filled with Yankee fans I normally wouldn't be able to stomach - rising, the inevitable conclusion, such a cool moment. The first time I saw it and the last time. If he is able to come back, and wants to, it'd be quite the scene the first time those bullpen doors open again and No. 42 strolls out.

Jayson Nix, welcome to footnote history.

A-Rod's reaction will be replayed forever.

Rivera's press conference was gut-wrenching. Although at the same time, you do think that he'll be one guy who can handle his post-retirement life. But hopefully that's still not for a few more years.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

RIP, MR.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A shame. Class act. No-brainer Hall of Famer.

Oddly, Mariano Rivera blew a save in the the only game I attended at old Yankee Stadium.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. But then O'Neill and Justice hit back-to-back homers off D-Lowe (when he was a closer) to beat the Sox. Pretty awesome experience

Baseball got a lot less classy tonight. Very sad.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

KC's Jose Guillen went yard off of him in my trip. Someone named Yosuhiko Yabuta got the win for the Royals.

7. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I remember that game. It was June 9, 2008. Two days earlier he gave up a game-tying home run to David DeJesus but was the winning pitcher in a 12-11 game that Johnny Damon had six hits in.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is very bad, but if anyone can come back (not till 2013 of course), it's him. Greatest pitcher in Yankees history. A Yankee Sox fans never booed (too scared of him to do so).

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Watching him talk was one of the hardest things to see. Class act. Best at what he did. Sorry it has to likely end that way.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If this is the end for Rivera, there have been very few Baseball Hall of Famers whose careers ended so suddenly:

1. Lou Gehrig (diagnosed with ALS)
    2. Roberto Clemente (died in an offseason plane crash)
    3. Roy Campanella (paralyzed in an offseason car accident)
    4. Kirby Puckett (suddenly went blind in one eye during spring training)
    5. Ed Delahanty (died in a drunken accident/suicide when he fell/jumped from a bridge at Niagara Falls)

That's about it. Nolan Ryan retired suddenly after tearing a ligament while pitching in September 1993, but he was going to retire at the end of that season anyway.

There were a few others, like Babe Ruth, Mike Schmidt and Sandy Koufax, who retired abruptly in midseason or in the offseason, but they probably could have continued had they chosen to.

Anybody I'm missing?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, I never wanted to see him turn into a 5.00 ERA closer, so there might be a silver lining in all of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted