1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariano Rivera expected to retire after 2013 season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 7, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That means he'll save 96.5% of all Yankee wins.

I'm a Yankee fan and have been all my life. I am told that my first Yankee game had Mickey Mantle playing 1B. I can see the Yankees losing 100 games this year.

I'm a grown up, when Im not posting stupid shit on this board, and would never wear a jersey, but if I did it would be #42 Yankees. He's the perfect professional athlete. He wants to kill you on the field, won't talk about you off the field, and aside from a smile, a fist pump and fist bump after a game, you don't get any of that gorilla chest thump and that banshee scream.

He's another guy that if you are a HOF voter and don't vote for him on the 1st ballot you should be denied admittance at every sporting event, for ever.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh, there will be a few '70s era dickhead voters who vote not the first go-round because "He hardly *ever* pitched 3-inning stints like Rollie Fingers!!!11!!" or some nonsense like that.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anyone who fails to vote for him should be locked in a room with Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith and a 1 shot Derringer

4. Songbird

Might be the best one of these I've ever seen. Puts it all into perspective.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Songbird

So after this season Jeter will be the last one of the dynasty still standing (unless Pettitte comes back).

There's a wonderful story to be told if and when that happens, and I kind of have an idea of how I'd want the Web design to look. Would be a terrific package.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Would you start with the http://www.mankyjimy.com address?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is not at all meant to impugn Rivera's greatness, but I'd like to know how many runners he inherited relative to other closers. Rivera rarely enters the game with a runner on base or in the middle of an inning.

He's pitched 1219.2 innings in 1051 games, less than an inning and a third per appearance. He's inherited 352 runners, basically one every three games.

If I'm going to write about Rivera's greatness, inherited runners scoring percentage isn't the stat I'd use. He's allowed 102 of 352 inherited runners to score in his career (29 percent). Trevor Hoffman allowed 70 of 326 to score (20 percent). Dennis Eckersley allowed 91 of 349 to score (26 percent).

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I love Rivera, but SS is right that the pierce stat is meaningless because he almost always starts the inning. Also, the caption about walking on the moon is written terribly. Finally, for all of his very significant greatness, I heard lupica talking today about how he never failed. Almost every year that the Yankees didn't win it all in that era, they lost with him on the mound. He's the greatest, but we can't pretend that 1997, 2001 and to a much lesser extent 2004 never happened.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

MankyJimy just ran over and punched a wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted