1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maria Sharapova is done moaning for money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Feb 26, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What they said was "Her endorsement earnings and press coverage far outweigh her tennis accomplishments."

Which is 100 percent correct. And it bothered fellow players more than it did Joe Tennis Fan.

There was even a commercial indirectly addressing it.

I attended a Kournikova-Seles match in Miami a while back. Seles at this time was long past her prime, had a spare tire and was out of tennis shape. Still, here was a nine-time Grand Slam champion and survivor of a knifing playing as an underdog. Yet she received zero support from the fans, who would cheer her misses (because it meant Anna won the point!). Very sad.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Your statements are true, but the other applies, too. A guy I used to sit next to at work thought she was the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. He had photos and a broken clock (that was right twice a day) with her as the background. But I heard it all the time, she's no good, she never won a singles tournament. She was plenty good to get to No. 8 in the rankings.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, it's her own damn fault. Don't miss and they won't cheer. ;)

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

BTExpress-
    Genie Bouchard is the new Kournikova, maybe even less accomplished on the court.

I thought I'd read something that Kournikova was extremely disliked on the tour.

Tweener likes this.
  5. BTExpress

She was. Mostly jealously, but Kournikova earned a lot of the animosity. Martina Hingis, with whom Anna won a couple of Grand Slam doubles titles, recalled Anna's response after Hingis beat Kournikova at the 1994 junior U.S. Open:

"You won, but I'm prettier and more marketable than you."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he meant this Poppy.

yeah, I do have a 2.5 year old daughter. Why do you ask?

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That’s a three for three statement

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Incredibly insensitive remark from a 13-year-old.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sharapova is one of the great tennis players of all time. But she'd really fallen off in an era when women's tennis has zero great players (including this version of Williams, who wouldn't take 3 games off the Serena who had to battle Henin, Clijsters and vintage Venus.)

In the last 13 majors there have been 11 different winners.

That's the same number of winners in the stretch of 2001-2010.

10. BTExpress

Her shoulder has been a complete mess since 2013.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Fart loved the young Mary Joe Fernandez, she never cheated anybody.

12. BTExpress

Best Mary Joe moment: Trailing Gabriela Sabatini 1-6, 1-5 in the 1993 French Open quarterfinals, saves five match points and comes back to win 1-6, 7-6(4), 10-8.

Draft saved Draft deleted