1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marco Rubio: Not a "Natural Born Citizen"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 22, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't actually like poutine. Must be the Yankee in me. :)

The bar hasn't been set very high, though, has it? :)

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dumb question, but how are you a citizen?

Did one of your parents move to the U.S. and become a citizen, then move back to Canada?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not a dumb question at all. My grandfathers were both born in the States - one in Massachusetts, one in Michigan - so my parents each acquired U.S. citizenship at birth through them.

As the child of two U.S. citizens, I was also eligible for citizenship at birth if at least one of my parents had lived in the U.S. for any length of time. When my father was in the army during the Korean War, part of his training took place at Fort Lewis, Washington. His service record proves he was stationed there for a few months before he went overseas, and that satisfied the residency requirements.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We all know you're really from Kenya. :D

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Bow down to your new overlord. ;D

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No impact on his popularity, poll reveals:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68134.html

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, he's from friggin' Owen Sound, Ontario.

That alone should make him ineligible from running for either President in the US or Prime Minister in Canada.

(Yeah, yeah, Double J, I know no one actually runs for PM in this country but you get my point. Or maybe not) :)

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Owen Sound will be the capital of the United Country of North America.

Mimico will be the Siberia. ;)

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dredging this one up because I know Rubio is a favorite among the GOPers 'round these here parts.

Interesting story about his running feud with Univision, which, by the way, has far more impact on Hispanics than any other media org has on any other demographic (including Fox News' impact on right wing wackos).

The feud centers around Univision having the audacity to report that Rubio's brother-in-law, who is often seen on stage with him, is a convicted drug trafficker and murder.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/01/09/120109fa_fact_auletta

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't know if he's a favorite as he is someone who it will be interesting to watch over the next decade.

12. Mizzougrad96

It would be kind of funny to have a former NFL cheerleader as a first lady. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted