1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marco Rubio: Not a "Natural Born Citizen"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 22, 2011.

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/8478044/Birther-row-began-with-Hillary-Clinton.html

Took 2 seconds of Google search

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't fuckin' care either way, but if you are going to use a cooked-up story about your heroic parents courageously fleeing commie oppression in Cuba as part of your PR campaign, you probably ought to check and see if it's easily disprovable by official records before you start pumping it out.

It would be like Obama saying his mother fought at Iwo Jima. "Well, that's what I've always been told."

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In what year did the Hillary Clinton campaign end?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You don't think that journalists should double-check a politician's origin story? If it's not important, like you say, then why did Rubio advance it in the first place? You read and enjoyed Bernstein's book on Hillary. What was that, other than a fleshed-out, double-checked origin story, right?

This isn't in the same zip code as birther-ism. There is incontrovertible proof here that Rubio's dates were off. I applaud the Post for breaking the story. Whether I let it color my opinion of Rubio, going forward, is up to me.

5. Dick Whitman

I wish we could go back and check out people's posts about Hillary Clinton's tale about dodging bullets in Bosnia. Wonder what the "who cares" crowd posted then.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As the OP illustrates, World Net Daily seems to have this market cornered.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think that "exiles, not immigrants" line (yes, I realize it's two years old) is going to go over too well on the border. It's dangerously close to "Us exiles aren't like you wetbacks."

8. Obama Lied About Mother’s Health Insurance Problem

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/07/14/obama-lied-about-mother%E2%80%99s-health-insurance-problem/

But let's give Obama and Biden a pass for all the gaffes and outright lies. Some of you people are ridiculous.

9. Dick Whitman

I don't understand your point. A reporter uncovered the mistake. The reporter reported the mistake. As it should have been there. As it should have been here.

How exactly does Obama exaggerating a component of his background story absolve Rubio of doing the same?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It would be interesting if that story ever got some traction, but we all know it won't...

11. Dick Whitman

Has the Rubio story, though? It hasn't exactly been splashed across A1 or leading newscasts. I saw it on Politico.

That's what I've been trying to ask. Whether voters even care about this kind of thing. Or whether they just think, "Oh, everyone does that." The important question, I think, is whether the substantive change in his origin story will change voters' opinion of him. Not whether they'll necessarily distrust him.

12. Dick - the double-standard you exhibit any time you open your mouth about politics is mind-blowing.

You ask questions about "good" Republicans the way a 1950's racist southerner (who most likely would be a registered Democrat BTW) would ask is anyone knew any "good" "darkies". Yet you don't think of yourself as close minded.

I'm going to have to pass on any further political discourse with you because I can't handle how obtuse you can be. You ask questions like what should I wear for a family picture and can't understand why people roll their eyes. You say you just want to know what voters think because it seems you cannot think for yourself but it is the people who respond to you who are responsible for the frustration you generate.

Draft saved Draft deleted