1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

March Sadness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Mar 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

While I love the college game, I don't like seeing the big boys beat up the little boys. I propose a true tourney where all the big boys are lumped together and the little boys are lumped together. The winners are then paired for a true national championship. I think it could work.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

They already have that. It's called Division II. You never got that trophy for participation when you were 7 did you?

3. boots

boots New Member

You could say its the NIT as well but I really think its time that the NCAA really examine it. There are so many Division I teams out there. Split the field. Give the little guys a true chance at earning a national title.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It is a bit odd that there are 119 D-I football teams but 300 (I'm not sure the exact number) D-I basketball teams.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

They have. D-II, D-III, NAIA, etc., all crown national champs.

The little guys you speak of want to be at the big boy table with UNC, UCLA and Florida. If they truly wanted to compete for a national championship and that was what was most important, they'd be D-II.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The kids from Valpo, Hampton and anywhere else where they pulled a stunner or three, I'm sure while they're bummed about not winning a national title, they took home some great memories. On the biggest stage there is for college hoops.

7. boots

boots New Member

Without getting into a long explanation, football is the bread winnner for many collegiate programs. However, there are many college programs that concentrate on basketball being the revenue bearer. It is that reason why I think a tournament featuring the big guys against the little guys would benefit everyone fairly.

Draft saved Draft deleted