1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marbury's dad dies during Knicks game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Dec 3, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Very sad, strange night at the Garden.
    Still unsure exactly how, when it happened. Details began trickling out just as NY writers were filing for final editions.
    RIP, Don Marbury.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2007/12/03/2007-12-03_stephon_marburys_father_don_dies_shortly.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/sports/basketball/03knicks.html?hp

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He and his wife looked so happy together in the photo in the first link.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Terrible news. Even worse that it happened at the Knicks game.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Here's the problem I have.
    They never tell him anything what's going on until after.
    Maybe he has the right to be with his dad when he dies and that's what he wanted?
    Oh, sorry, sports is more important and you are nothing but a hoops player till the game is over?
    The rest? Too bad.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

First and foremost, they should have told him when it happens. He should have been with his dad and the organization should have treated him not as a hoops player when this happened, but a son of a father who just collapsed and died. He should have been told as it happened, regardless of whether he was on the court at the time or not.

Does the NBA have a policy about this sort of stuff, is it a team policy? Or was this a case of a snap judgement where it was thought is was better to wait to tell him.

Regardless, still should have told him as it happened and should have given him the option of being with his father. Basketball should have been secondary to his father in this case.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do any of you have any idea what the time frame was here? NO!

All that was reported was Don Marbury had chest pains at the game, was taken to the hospital and died at the hospital. As far as I can tell the media didn't learn of it until close to 11 p.m., more than an hour after the game ended.
    How does anyone know if Knicks/MSG management even knew of the incident until after the game? We don't even know when during the game Don Marbury left the arena.

But let's be sure we jump to conclusions and rip the Knicks for their handling of this.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sad story. Very sad indeed.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Right - because the Knicks, above all NBA franchises, certainly deserve the benefit of doubt.

I think markvid has a point.

99% of jobs in America - if your parent is having chest pains and is taken to the hospital, you drop what you're doing and go.

Hopefully the Knicks at least informed him his dad was taken to the hospital.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I remember when Hank Gathers died, and how LaSalle school officials told Lionel Simmons during his game 2,500 miles away. I seem to remember a clip of hiim hearing and breaking down on the bench.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Wire story says a family member told a Knicks official not to inform Stephon when his dad was taken to the hospital. I wouldn't blame the Knicks here. It sounds like they were taking their cues from the family. The dad was taken to the hospital at halftime and he was dead before the game was over. It all happened so fast that by the time they realized how serious it was, it might have been too late to get word to him.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I really don't think the Knicks are at fault here.
    From most accounts, someone from Marbury's family told the Knicks not to notify Stephon that his dad was having heart troubles and had to leave the Garden in an ambulance at half time. Don Marbury had heart troubles before, and it appears that person from Marbury's family didn't know how serious it was, and wanted Marbury to keep playing.
    I seriously doubt the Knicks chose to keep the information from Marbury so they'd have him for two more quarters.
    By the time the team reached the locker room post-game, Don had died. Reporters knew something strange had occurred given the state of the room, but assumed there had been a trade or someone was fired. The Knicks didn't want Marbury's extended family to see the report on the 11 pm news, so they did their best to keep it in-house. Can't blame them there, either.
    Just a sad night all around.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Then if I'm him, I'm pissed at my family.
    That is his decision and his alone how he wants to handle his father's situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted