1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marathons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DietCoke, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Interesting that as I'm viewing this thread, there's an ad for one of the races I mentioned: The Myrtle Beach Marathon.

I just also mention that marathonguide.com is a terrific resource if you want to get the opinion of other runners about the marathons.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I miss those candy bars. They were great.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A marathon is on my bucket list, though I'm not sure my knees can take it. I've run a 2-hour half marathon and plan on doing more of those for the next couple of years before I tackle twice that distance.

I do know quite a bit about different races, and I've talked to many different experienced marathoners about the best races out there.

Chicago and New York are the ultimate marathons that have open registration. The nonstop crowd support is fuel. Chicago is pretty flat, too.

The Rock 'n' Roll marathons are great for the on-course entertainment. San Diego is a good one because that may be the endurance sports capital of the U.S. (non-altitude division) and it gets good crowd support. Phoenix gets great reviews, too, though it's a January race so you need to train in the winter. That's tough to do with weather and daylight hours, etc.

For your first one, I would recommend one that takes place in October or November (and many do), so you can start training in May or June and have the long daylight hours and warm weather to work with.

5. partain

partain Member

An exchange from my favorite "running" movie: Run, Fat Boy, Run.

Guy #1 (talking about his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend): And he runs marathons.
    Guy #2: Why?
    Guy #1: Exactly!

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

To reference the marathon's genesis, if you don't die, you're doing it wrong. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted