1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marathons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DietCoke, Jan 24, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They're a rather passionate bunch. Can't bash them too hard, of course, since their bottom line is a helluva lot of money raised. But some chapters are borderline insane. I covered running at a former shop and once the TinT folks got their hooks into you they wouldn't leave you alone. I guess that helps them raise money.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I came up with my own training program. I basically ran six days a week, with runs of 5-10 miles each afternoon Monday-Friday and a longer run on Saturday morning. I never did more than 20 miles on the longer runs, and I only did two or three of those, with the last coming three weeks before the race.

The first one I did was at Kiawah Island, near Charleston, and it was pretty miserable. The field was only about 300, the course was flat but incredibly boring with no atmosphere or people around. I'd recommend something like the Marine Corps Marathon in DC for your first one. That was my favorite because of the crowds and marching bands playing at each mile marker, and it was neat to run through the city.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

A what? [/leaguejokenobodygets]

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Got it. It was awesome.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's nice to set your goals high (Boston), but get through 26.2 miles first and see if you like it.

I'd second the notion of joining a local running club. I always found it advantageous for several reasons. You have company and someone to chat with, but more important, there's always someone faster than you and you can use that for better training. Get two pairs of good shoes and alternate them on a regular basis. Plan for a MINIMUM of three or four months of good training and more than that if you're starting at Square 1 with no current running base.

Depending on what else is going on in your life (job, family, other commitments), yes, you might have to train early in the morning. Been there, done that; it's no fun running at 4 a.m. on a miserably frigid morning in the Northeast in January (but being done with your running before 5 o'clock is a wonderful feeling.)

You can probably go onto the Runner's World website and download a daily running schedule; they used to have several to choose from.

You can do this if you want to. But it's not easy. Good luck.

6. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Runners World has a 12-week plan that I've used for both of the marathons I have run... I ran a 3 hrs 11 mins, 37 secs for my last one

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--9215-4-1X2X3X5-5,00.html

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Six years ago I did a marathon for a similar group. The fundraising was a bitch. I imagine now, with the economy in much worse shape, it's even tougher.
    I'm glad I did it and the cause was and is a meaningful one to me, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.
    Some of the lessons learned:
    1). Fundraising is tough, no matter how easy they try to make it sound. I also need richer friends.
    2). I was not ready for a marathon. I followed the training plan and I finished the race, but I walked most of it. I had lost a lot of weight the year before and thought I'd be ready, but every time I tried to step up the running, my knees complained. If I had it to do over again, I'd start with a 5k and only attempt a marathon after a few years and several 5ks, 10ks and a half-marathon or two.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I did four. Long runs on the weekends, gradually building up to 3-4 20-milers (every other week), with a 10-15 miler on Wednesdays, one speed workout (800 or 1200 intervals), and a day off each week. Start your taper about two weeks before the event, and you should be fine. Just start the race out slow; the biggest mistake for first-time marathoners is going out too fast.

I was always in great shape but my body wasn't built for marathons; I could run a 35-minute 10K but never broke 3:20 for a marathon.

I have no idea where you live but Grandma's Marathon in Duluth is outstanding.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

My three:

Kiawah Island, S.C. — Flat but monotonous, with no local support and you feel like you've passed the same house 10 times.

Marine Corps in D.C. — Not too difficult a course and there are crowds almost the entire way. I liked all the bands at every (or every other) mile marker and the tough finish up the hill to the Iwo Jima memorial was awesome. Marathons don't get much better than this.

Jacksonville — I only did this one because I had some friends I could stay with and because I was trying to qualify for Boston. At the time that meant I needed to finish in like 3:08. The first time I tried it the temp was 80 degrees despite it being mid December and I was completely gassed by the halfway point. I shouldn't have stopped, but I did. Two years later I came back and ran it in about 3:16. The course is flat, with a start and finish at the Bolles School, but there's no crowd or atmosphere.

Other than New York or Boston, if I could run any marathon it would either be Chicago, which I've heard great things about, or Big Sur.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I did Marine Corps in 1997. Best and worth experience of my life. Best because I wanted to show myself I could do one and by gawd I did. As John notes, great course, great running through D.C., lots of other first-timers and I ran not far from Al Gore.

Worst because my knees haven't been right since.

It rained like a bitch all day, which was no fun. I'd love to do one more before I die, in better conditions. Probably Marine Corps again. Need to lose 100 pounds or so first.

I did 3-4 regular runs a week and then the Sunday long one. Twenty was the longest I did, did that three weeks out. Interesting to get to the 20-mile mark and know you still have a 10K ahead of you.

I'm also with John on Chicago and Big Sur. Would like to do San Diego as well. At one point I had dreams of one marathon a year in a new place. Lose some weight here and maybe it's not too late?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Diet: Part of your original post asked about the experience.

I trained for 15 months before my first marathon, and though there were 50 people in my running club who had finished marathons, it's something you have to go through in order to know what it's like. I don't care how many stories you hear.

When I got to the 16-mile mark of my first, it felt as though someone had strapped a 5-pound sack of cement onto each thigh. When I got to 20 miles, it felt as though they had been replaced with 10-pound bags. But when I got over the last of the hills at 22 miles, I realized I really was going to do this and I was on such a high over the last four miles.

One of the most unforgettable feelings I've ever had in my life came after it was all over. I sat there on a curb, sipping on a Gatorade and eating a banana. I remember the sun glistening off the medal every time I looked at it and thinking to myself, if the good Lord decides to take me right now, I couldn't leave this earth feeling any better than I do right now.

Do it. Start today.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm addicted to this stuff and have 25 marathon finishes to prove it. If I can do it -- I'm not very athletic -- anybody can do it. The key is to get in at least 3 20-mile training runs and make sure that you run at least 45 or 50 or so miles total the week of your 20-milers.

For your first marathon, a race that's flat and with a lot of course support will help you through those challenging last six miles. Races I've run that I'd suggest in that regard: Marine Corps Marathon, Chicago Marathon and Twin Cities Marathon. Other good flat marathons (but with not much course support) are Myrtle Beach Marathon, Tybee Island Marathon, Shamrock Marathon (Virginia Beach) and Tobacco Road Marathon (Cary, N.C.) The New York City Marathon is a blast, but it's hilly and wouldn't be a very good option for a first marathon.

Definitely just try to finish the first one without worrying about your time. I know from my bad experience in my first marathon attempt (George Washington Birthday Marathon in Greenbelt, Md.) when I did go out too fast thinking that I could keep it up and put up a good time. I dropped out at mile 19. Take the first one slowly. That not only increases your chances of finishing, but it will make it easier to run a PR later.

Draft saved Draft deleted