1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marathoner dies at US Trials in Central Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I can't be wrong... what I stated there is fact.

2. the cop who dropped dead while running the chicago marathon a few weeks ago disagrees with you. no drugs and it wasn't heat related. although collapsing four blocks from a hospital and the ambulances getting lost on the way probably had a lot to do with that.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Maybe we could wait at least a few hours before we start throwing steroid accusations on the guy's coffin?

Acc. to the Daily News story, he'd had health problems before:

"In 2004, sports scientists at the U.S. Olympic Committee training camp in Chula Vista, Calif., told Shay he was suffering from Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome - severe total-body fatigue. He stopped running for a short period, but soon began training again, saying he was healthy."

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I believe that Shay had had problems with cardiomegaly, or an enlarged heart, perhaps thought due to normal physiologic changes associated with beiong an elite athlete. The cause of death is likely due to a heart arrhythmia.

Too sad.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Hall ran a hell of a race though. 2:09:02. Not a bad time at all. Sad to hear about Shay though. He showed a lot of promise earlier in his career.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Enlarged heart, according to his father by way of AP.

And Hall's time, FWIW, was a U.S. Olympic trials record. He's a local guy for us (his brother, too.)

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

What Buck said.
    AP story says he was diagnosed with it at 14, and a car accident at 16. The more he ran, the more enlarged it became, but no one ever thought it was a problem because he did not complain.

8. And the guy was a Notre Dame graduate.

Rough day in South Bend all around.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

good lord

because they also lost a football game?

10. And the running back's brother got murdered.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Somehow I think the odds of the recreational marathoner doping are slightly less.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If using caffeine or Advil counts as doping, I can guarantee lots of recreational marathoners dope. I take both when I run marathons.

Draft saved Draft deleted