1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marathoner dies at US Trials in Central Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 3, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very sad story... this is the first of two Marathons in NYC in two days:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/11/03/2007-11-03_marathoner_collapses_and_dies.html

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Very sad and odd. Usually when a runner dies at a marathon, you guess that it's an older runner and that it probably happened in the final miles. This guy was 28 and collapsed 5 1/2 miles into the race.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not only was he just 28, but he was one of the U.S.'s top runners too.

Story said he just got married a couple months ago too.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Married to another world class distance runner.

5. ondeadline

And the wife of the race winner was the bridesmaid at his wedding.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

very sad. RIP

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Super sad.

And a even more sad commentary on the state of sports is ... my immediate thought was, "heart condition" and then .... "steroids."

I hope it wasn't the latter.

RIP.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate to say it, but it's only a matter of time until we find out he was taking something that he shouldn't have been...

RIP...

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Holy shit. When I used to run he was one of the college guys my teammates and I would talk about all the time. Our coach told us that he once got hit by a car during a half-marathon I believe but got up and still finished with a really good time. This is just awful.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

10. ondeadline

I was running on the left side of a rural road one time and the rear-view mirror of a car hit me in the hand. I usually run with my hands close to my body, so obviously I was lucky the driver wasn't a foot or so closer to the edge of the road.

I'd like to give Shay the benefit of the doubt at this point. Have there every been any marathon runners who have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jim Fixx died with nothing in his system.... Sergei Grinkov.... MANY athletes have.

A Widow's blockage... or a good cardiomyopathy will get you every time, whether you are skinny or fat.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope you're right, but unfortunately, recent history says you're probably wrong...

Draft saved Draft deleted