1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Map of 74 school shootings since Newtown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jun 11, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bought and paid for.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Analogies!

This is Baron territory.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Did a shooting occur?
    Did the shooting occur at a school?

If so, it's a school shooting. Just because it's not a guns-blazing, kill-anything-that-moves Newtown type doesn't make it not a school shooting.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Arguing semantics just to further an agenda. You, sir, are an example of what's wrong with this country and this profession and quite frankly are the worst example of a human being I have ever encountered. You have no soul.

More likely it's a domestic situation that just happened to take place at a school because the victim worked there, whether it was as an educator or student. Had the victim worked at Burger King, it would have happened there.

Letter of the law, yes, it's a school shooting. But it's not by the spirit of the law.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm strangely honored by this.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, ACQB, I'm curious where you got your numbers. They'd be news to me.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Damn. Not even one of the worst. THE worst.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, we're using the debacle that cable teevee news coverage has become and not only applying it to all media but using its nonexistent reflection on society in an attempt to discredit actual news.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_study_gun_control_is_counterproductive/

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, please give YF's magic act a round of applause.

And that is exactly what he is doing on this thread. A magic act. Sleight of hand. Distract the audience from the actual issue because he can't win on topic.

Yes, those other problems exist. Yes, you can tweak what would be considered a school shooting.

But that still leaves 41 clear school shootings since Newtown and YF keeps dodging that question. Is that acceptable? Not "Is it the most important problem of all our problems?" Is it acceptable. Try actually addressing it without bringing up something unrelated. Just once.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Random acts=something unusual. And YF, do you honestly believe that if Newtown happened in the inner city that it would not have been a big news story? I'll hang up and listen.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Well, I meant it with the utmost respect. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted