1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Map of 74 school shootings since Newtown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

2. NFL-Solomon

NFL-Solomon New Member

74... 39... 37... 29... These stupids can't even decide what constitutes a "shooting". It doesn't actually make for much honesty in reporting.

What a terrible article.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Was just thinking he same thing. But…GUNSSSS!!!!11!!!!!!1

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yea, because if it's 29 instead of 74, I'm OK with that.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't everyone a little curious about these numbers?

How did we miss all of these shootings? Cable goes wall-to-wall with every schools shooting, right? So, how could there be 74 since Newtown?

Well, one guy took a look:

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/146537-everytown-map-74-school-shootings-since-newtown-goes-viral-33-questionable-entries/

Turns out, a bunch were either near a school, happened in a parking lot after school, involved suicide, or gang activity. In other words, they weren't at all like Newtown, or the other school shootings that get media attention.

Oh, and many of them involved African-Americans, and we all know the media values the lives of white people way more than the lives of African-Americans.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So if you remove the 33 shootings that the tweeter with the extremely punchable, smug face says are "fake," that's still 41 school shootings since Newtown.

74 is an unacceptable number, but 41? Oh, I guess we can all live with that.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

THIS. Even if you throw out the questionable 33, and the title had merely said 41, it's still a rather shocking number. Point still stands.

But, hey, I'm sure the founding fathers contemplated all these dead kids in the 21st century as acceptable collateral losses when they were drafting the 2nd Amendment in the 18th century.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNSTAT.html

By any measure, the United States is well above other industrialized countries in rates of gun-related injuries and deaths. The numbers spiked in the early 1990s, went down during the 90s, and then have settled into a fairly consistent pattern since.

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, yeah. The facts don't matter, we're trying to make a POINT!

What about the other 41? Why don't we remember the majority of them? Surely it's not because the national media exhibited restraint. What were the circumstances involved in those shootings?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yet we have a lower overall murder rate than most countries with stringent gun laws.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So 41 is OK?

As for other shootings, part of the definition of news is that it's something unusual. A school shooting in which one person died and/or the shooter killed himself isn't big news beyond the immediate area anymore. For example, one shooting was at Purdue University, in which one student went into a lab and shot and killed another. Big deal, but the number is small, so it's not going to lead outside of Indiana. In some cases, there was a shooting but no death -- again, not going to make national news.

It disturbs me that we live in a society where it's no longer shocking when I tell people my kids, including my elementary-age kids, go through active shooter drills on a semi-regular basis.

12. YankeeFan

If you send your daughter off to a college campus this fall, is she more likely to get shot in a "school shooting" or sexually assaulted by a classmate?

We have school officials demagoguing on one issue, an actively covering up the other.

And, if your daughter is sexually assaulted on a college campus, what are the odds she will get justice, and the cooperation of school officials?

Draft saved Draft deleted