1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many With New College Degree Find the Job Market Humbling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 18, 2011.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Don't even get me started on a for-profit university rant ...

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I wonder how much the numbers are skewed by doctors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you never seem to hear about doctors who are struggling or can't find jobs or get downsized etc etc, like so many other college grads in journalism, business, etc etc.

Obviously you can't become a doctor without going to college, and I don't think you can be an unsuccessful doctor (ie, not be able to find a job that pays well), but in almost every other field, it is possible to be successful without college and it's also possible to go to college and be unsuccessful.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would be right there with you in that rant... :)

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are there any decent for-profit schools? A high school acquaintance is getting a doctorate from Grand Canyon University. It's a weird situation since it was a Baptist school before being bought a several years ago. The company still claims it is a Christian school, but I think only fools believe that now.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Right, but it may also get worse.

I have no hard evidence to suggest things are getting worse, but from an anecdotal level ... this last month reminded me a lot like one in 2008.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Some of the for-profit law schools have pretty high bar passage rates, I think.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

One report says one way to make college more affordable is to make instructors teach:

http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/report-offers-primer-cutting-college-costs-11090

9. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

It shouldn't be that hard for a college hopeful to sit down and do the math. The hard part will be being honest with themselves about their success (I'm sure I'll be in the top 1% of my class at law school!), but otherwise easy.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just read the boards at Collegeconfidential.com and everyone is in the top 25 percent of their class.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Independent thought alarm.

Draft saved Draft deleted