1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man's best friend: When is it time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 11, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

She's not hurting anymore, DW. You should (and will, I'd wager) take comfort in that.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Thinking about you, Dick. We're here if you need us.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry Dick. You'll see her again someday.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Dick, you did right by your dog for 15 years. Well done.

JackReacher and Vombatus like this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

How are you feeling, Dick?

At peace with your decision and the timing, I hope?

In my opinion, you should feel good about things, but it's more important what you think and how things are going.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, I guess. I'll write more later - busy morning with some deadlines to meet.

It's weird, I'll say that. She was a constant presence in our lives for 15 years, and now she's just not there any more. It's strange to go downstairs in the morning and she's not there.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear she's gone, Dick. That's the best $300 you could have spent, though. It should give you peace of mind to know that it really was her time and things were not going to get better for her. You did the right thing.

expendable likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This whole thing just has me dreading the day I have to make the same decision. We have two dogs, an 8-year-old yellow lab and a 2-year-old labradoodle. My son is the same age as the labradoodle (they were born two weeks apart) and has never known life without them. We have a daughter due in May, and it'll be the same for her. Not looking forward to them having to through that.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The most heart-wrenching moment, which I keep going over in my head, is when my son looked at us with tears in his eyes, after we'd already told him and he had cried a little, and said, hopefully, "Maybe the doctor can try to keep her alive just until July?" I'm welling up thinking about it.

My wife put her arm around him and said, "Oh, honey, I'm sorry. But ... she already died. You understand that, right?"

We got him laughing and talking about all the funny stuff she did, though, so he was OK.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well said, VB. Big, big +1 your second graf. Dick, my condolences. Thank you to all that have posted thoughts during this tough time for Dick and his family. Tremendous amount of heartfelt advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted