1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

being from the PNW and being a dodger fan, i simply hate the fucking yankees, period.

with all the hate i channel at those fuckers, there's really no more baseball rage to go around.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nah... Bay MVP in losing cause... 4 HRs in the series

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I was thinking more about the obnoxious New York asshats seeing Torre, who all of a fucking sudden wasn't good enough for them, win it all up close and personal, with the team that ditched Brooklyn no less.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Most Boston fans liked, and still like, Ramirez a lot. Yes, he can be, uh, notional. But he doesn't loaf on the field on grounders, pop ups, etc. any more than other sluggers, including sainted former teammate Papi. Ninety percent of the "Manny nonsense" in his stay in Boston was bullshit generated by the "baseball is a religion" section of sports media that has freaked out about sluggers since time was.
    NONE of the charges made about Manny were not also made against Ted Williams. Twas ever thus in this burg.
    IMO, the Sox saw Manny's little walkabout in July as a God-given opportunity to justify trading him rather than not picking up his option at the end of the year and getting nothing in return. Manny doesn't sit for TWO DAYS (not much of strike, I'd say), the fans lynch Theo for the trade.
    So the Sox have Bay, who is all they need as long as Youkilis keeps hitting the way he has this season. Manny has LA. Everybody's happy.
    It says it all about the nature of sports, fandom, and sports journalism these days that we have a thread on its third page devoted to the simple concept "A trade that helps both clubs."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not really.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you thought Scott Boras rang up some poor owner with Carlos Beltran, what he'll do with Manny will make Beltran feel absolutely robbed.

I can't stand Boras, but please ... challenge this theory. And the rumor that Boras wanted Manny out of Boston has legs. He got zero if the Sox picked up the options for the next two years. For all the squawking Boras does bleating his love for baseball, he'd run over his mother - or anyone else in his family - for commissions.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who can challenge a theory that makes Boras look like more if a money-grubbing shithead?

8. Sam Mills 51

You get the point, Slap. It's one thing to look out for your clients. That's an agent's job. But Boras is a living heart donor who possesses unparalleled arrogance.

9. Michael_ Gee

Based on my personal contacts with Ramirez, I reject the notion he's just putty in Boras' hands. Boras is good at a shitty business. But that doesn't make him Svengali. The wicked agent, however, is a handy character for those who believe sports is a fairy tale and not real, messy, complicated life.

10. Sam Mills 51

Manny probably plays dumb a lot more than most of us know. But there has to be a reason Manny dumped his agents and went with Boras, and I don't think it's because he serves cool breakfast pastry when clients visit his office.

11. Michael_ Gee

Sam, I couldn't agree more. When a ballplayer hires Boras, it's the BALLPLAYER who's driving the situation. He knows what he's getting, and that is maximum, ethically questionable (to be polite) hardball. Agents are facilitators. Players have the final say.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you want to sign Manny wht not offer a one year deal at a ridiculously high price. 30 to 35 mil for one year. That way you prtoect yourself from any long term problems.
    I know it is highly unlikely that Boras would ever except this but Manny on a 1 year deal is frightening.

Draft saved Draft deleted