1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

half the people in LA are more weird than manny.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Manny spent eight years in Cleveland and seven-plus seasons in Boston. So if history holds, Manny will wear out his welcome in L.A. in approximately 2015.

And if what some Boston fans say is true, that the Red Sox are a better team without him this year, then shouldn't those same Red Sox fans be happy Manny helped force a trade?

3. KP

KP Active Member

Piotr,

The guy quit on his team, and the way he played down the stretch only proved it, and shot his way out of town. There's plenty of reason to be less than pleased with the guy. I haven't seen anyone suggest the Red Sox would have won a WS without Manny, there is no way they would have.

As for the Dodgers, they've won playoff rounds before. What were you trying to say there?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I know this will sound crazy, but I hope the Yanks do not go after Manny this winter.

The city ain't big enough for him and A-Rod both, and having them on the same team could be a disaster with Girardi running the show.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I sure am. They're not more talented without him, but he wore out his welcome, and even his teammates wanted him gone. Sure, I would've been happier if the whole thing never happened, but I was glad when he was gone.

6. KP

KP Active Member

The way it worked out in the end benefitted the Red Sox, but if they had the Manny that gave a shit, the one that magically appeared at LAX, odds are they win the division. Instead they got one that nearly didn't get on a flight, they had to force to play, and force him to take medical tests when he said he couldn't go.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's a difference between weirdness and eccentricity. Anybody can be nuts, but you have to have a shitpile of $$$ to be a true eccentric. He couldn't be in a better place.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Manny Ramirez is the best hitter in baseball in the last 40 years.
    If the Red Sox no longer wanted to put up with his nonsense, it's their loss.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I got a ltitle too excited. Felt like the first one in history . . . .

Manny's exit from Boston was despicable. His complete body of work should cement him a permanent place in the hearts of Red Sox fans.

Of course, I can't stand Shaquille O'Neal, so I understand why Manny doesn't merit the unconditional love. But Sox fans were feeling five years ago what Cubs fans feel tonight. I just think that positive emotion from 2004 should never have a chance to diminish.

A friend who is a Red Sox fan told me last night that 2007 diminishes 2004. But to me, 2007 doesn't happen without 2004. Prior to that first one, a Sox team that falls behind Cleveland (or anyone) in a playoff series 3-1 folds its tents, other than when facing the Angels, who were worse when it came to puckering up in the playoffs.

Because that 2004 run completely changed the culture of the franchise, there was no doubt the Red Sox would win that 2007 ALCS, and the title. With time, Manny's bullcrap will be remembered more fondly.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Manny grabbed a mic about 45 mins after the game and yelled to the crowd: "Party at my house tonight! We party like rock stars! If you can find my house." Too fucking cool.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Seems like both sides were at fault. Yeah, Manny didn't play hard (even though he did bat .347 for the month of July, when he supposedly tanked it), but the Red Sox didn't exactly do anything to discourage the behavior. Charlie Manuel benched Jimmy Rollins twice this season, once for tardiness, once for lack of hustle. Maddon benched Upton many times for his lack of focus and hustle this season.

But what did the Red Sox ever do -- aside from placing him on waivers in 2003 -- to discourage his behavior? Why trade him for not running out balls to first base when he had done that for seven-plus seasons already? Why is Manny suddenly a cancer when he did what he had always done, because the organization let him get away with it?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

If Manny wins a ring this year with the Dodgers, he'll be allowed to do whatever the hell he wants for as long as he continues to play.

Draft saved Draft deleted