1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny Ramirez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 23, 2008.

?

Where does he land?

1. Nationals

4.3%
  2. Orioles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yankees

17.4%
  4. Dodgers

47.8%
  5. Other

30.4%
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Since the Teixeira thread was pretty fun, let's focus on the last of the big-name free agents out there.

Where the hell is this guy going to end up and is he going to end up with a significantly smaller contract than he expected?

With Tex gone, do the Nats go after him? The Dodgers have an offer out there, but have little incentive to increase it and he has shown little interest in accepting it.

The Mets seem unlikely, the Sox and Angels are no-gos.

Baltimore perhaps?

What say you, SportsJournalists.com?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Manny, just stay with the Dodgers and get movie parts, OK?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People jilted at the altar are notorious pushovers on the rebound. So the Nats it might be. If nothing else, Manny would sell more tickets than Teixeira next season.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Knowing my luck, they WILL get him.
    I'll turn my tickets in.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the Yankees sign him and keep him on the bench so nobody else can get him. :)

6. Michael_ Gee

Moddy, why the diss for Manny? Changes of scene agree with him, he's an unbelievable hitter, and it'd only be for a few (the Nats hope) transitional seasons anyway.
    Don't believe all the Red Sox management spin you hear about the divorce.

7. Moderator1

Does he play 1B?

8. Michael_ Gee

To quote the late Gene Mauch on the subject of Richie Allen, another blithe soul: "If you can play catch, you can play first."

9. Moderator1

WILL he play first?
    The Nats need another OF like I need 10 more pounds.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Put someone else at first. Let him play left or right and let him rake the ball without having to worry about changing positions.

11. Michael_ Gee

There was a big hoo-ha when Manny first came to Boston about him not wanting to move from right field to left field. After the obligatory Manny to-and-fro, he did and never complained about the switch once. So there's no evidence he WOULDN'T play first. Why not? It's easier.

12. Moderator1

I suppose Willingham could move to first. Manny/Dukes/Milledge across the outfield.
    If the Nats sign Hudson and maybe a decent pitcher, my mood MIGHT improve.
    I'll still hate the Yankees more than I ever thought it possible to hate something.

Draft saved Draft deleted