1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny Ramirez story in The New Yorker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree, and I actual like the ending for that reason. I think the portrayals of Manny Ramirez over the years that make him look borderline retarded have been unfair, but at the same time, he's a lot like the stoner we all know. He's just an interesting figure. I think that final quote sums him up really well. McGrath points out that he's never been back to his high school, and doesn't help the program, and Manny says "yeah, I should, but when I play in New York, I just want to get back to my hotel and go to bed." Didn't strike me as arrogant, just stoner honest.

But I throw this question out again for those interested in the craft: Why do we like this story, and why did so many rage against Garrity's story about Tiger? Is it the strength of the anecdotes? Is it the tone? The subject? I point this out only because both articles use the first person, and both got only 10 minutes (or less) with the interview subject.

I know some of the answers, but I'm throwing the question out there in the interest of discussion.

2. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Garrity's seemed too ... smug for my tastes. I don't know if that's a good description, but it seemed like he was very pleased with himself for meeting Tiger as a kid, riding a private plane, etc., and he glossed over the fact that Tiger only gave him 10 minutes. The Manny piece is very honest about that, and McGrath just did a better job of going elswhere for insights on his subject, while Garrity used that bizarre "If I were Tiger's accountant/here's how rich he is" device.

Draft saved Draft deleted