1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny Ramirez Retires. Quits. Whatever, He's Done.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Apr 8, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Manny Ramirez Retires

This should say, Manny Ramirez quits.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One of my most disliked players of all times. Belongs in the Hall of Shame along with the other drug cheats. Just hope he stays gone for good.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Most disliked? He's not even in the top five.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The only people who dislike Manny are the GMs he's burned.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now had he played for the Yankees...

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How long before Manny signs with an independent league team and starts his comeback, saying he's found God and he's a changed man?

Maybe he can even mentor the youth.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

GMs he burned? The Red Sox got value for their money, namely the two world championships they never would've won without Ramirez. I don't think the Dodgers can complain, either.
    Manny was an enormous pain in the ass as an employee. But his bosses got value for money. Even the Rays don't have to pay most of what signed him for.
    The drug moralists here make me very tired. They are, to put it politely, full of shit. It is, I believe, an attitude that allows them to feel superior to others, and has no other real basis.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Because his numbers are dwarfed by the other two.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but comparing someone who could be giving crystal meth to your kids and someone who used steroids to improve their stamina and muscles puts you on the losing side of this argument. Now, if we define greenies, especially greeny juice by the gallon in the case of Willie Mays, as an illegal drug, then we'll be pulling plaques going back decades. The stats are the stats. The renown is the renown. Pretending that Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens weren't the icons of their baseball generation is as absurd as vacated Final Four appearances. They just can't be unseen.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Given all the cheating that went on in and around the Red Sox, they should probably have their titles stripped. At the very least, Red Sox fans should acknowledge The Curse would likely still exist today if not for rampant PED use. Tainted championships.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From earlier in this thread. ... I am not making any bets, because I have no idea where attitudes will be in 5 or 10 years from now. There is serious steroid fatique already, obviously. But if Bonds does even a day of prison time, I think his chances diminish quite a bit, even if an ARod, for example, is set to glide right in.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a Hall voter, I do not see how a perjury conviction should alter my opinion of Bonds' candidacy in any way. I already assume he's lying about taking PEDs. What's the jury got to do with his baseball career?

Draft saved Draft deleted