1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny being Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 18, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm pretty certain I saw a ball that hit the yellow line in Cincinnati called a home run maybe about a decade ago. I think it was one of the first years for the line. The explanation given to the audience was: "Those are the ground rules."

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The best rule induced thing I ever saw in a MLB game was a ground-rule triple. Doesn't happen that often, but when I saw it, I was amazed.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What was the situation? Was a ball stuck in the ivy?

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

A player threw his glove in the air to knock the ball down. He did it, and it was ruled a ground rule triple. This was in an MLB game.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

May, I call BS. Get a link to that rule, I never heard of it.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rule 7.05 :

(B) Three bases if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril.

(C) Three bases if a fielder intentionally throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

But didn't Bugs Bunny once catch a ball by throwing his glove in the air? Or was that Woody Woodpecker?

Draft saved Draft deleted