1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manny being Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 18, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Red Sox fanboyloosers will love this Manny quote:

“We’re not going to give up. We’re just going to go, play the game and move on. If it doesn’t happen, so who cares? It’s always next year. It’s not like the end of the world.”

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'm one of the biggest Sox fanboys on these boards.

And he has a good point. This is baseball. Go out and give it 100% but losing to a better team is not the end of the world. Being the third best team in baseball is not the end of the world.

He also said:

"We're always relaxed," Ramirez said. "If a guy goes over there and gives me 100 percent and things don't happen the way he wanted to, what is there to ask?"

"If I would have known that I was going to be in the World Series and not have those (LCS) records, I would have traded in a heartbeat," Ramirez said on Wednesday's workout day between Games 4 and 5. "Who cares about the records, man? We just want to go have fun and win."

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Isn't the correct term "looserfanboys"?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We've had threads about annoying, overused phrases in sports..."Manny being Manny" might trump them all.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Dat Manny is a wihhhked smaht philahhhhsupher.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Alright boys, let's go out and...get 'em?

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nope. "Fanboyloosers" is the correct term; consult your SportsJournalists.com style guide. ;)

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Oh, and Manny being Manny? It is what it is.

9. Here's the context.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071017&content_id=2270313&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Isn't this exactly the kind of attitude you want, down 1-3? Blithe, one-atbat-at-a-time. Considering Manny;s the only reliable hitter the Red Sox have at this point, he's the least of their worries.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good points. Manny's were the most twisted quotes of the day yesterday. A number of people used that particular as a jumping off point for hack jobs. No wonder he doesn't talk more often.

Trying to pin the "heartless" or "indifferent" label on Manny (as if it's disrespectful of the fans who care so much) just doesn't work. He's Manny. He enjoys the game and the competition and he doesn't feel pressure. He just goes about things differently than most of us. Get past it and enjoy the show. Dude is a hitting savant and lot's of fun to watch.

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

"Eh, who cares?"/John Lowenstein, President of the Apathy Club

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I laughed my ass off when I saw this quote on CNN this morning. Not because I'm anti-Red Sox, because, well, that's Manny for ya. Go Manny.

Draft saved Draft deleted