1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manhattan Housing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter2, Sep 2, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Any advice on short-term housing rentals in Manhattan? Looking for six months. Preferably near 32nd and Park (Empire State Building area). What to avoid? What should I be asking before renting? What are the questions to ask?

I’m a babe in the woods on this when it comes to knowing the layout of the city. Won’t need a car, and my goal is living off walking/public transit. Willing to look at just renting a room until I can find a place, but would prefer to move up and just be done with it. Furnished or unfurnished works.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Budget?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's an expensive area - reach out to me via PM with your email if you're willing and I'll hit you up with some info tomorrow when I'm back up that way.

4. cyclingwriter2

3600 a month

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You should be fine.

I would contact a real estate agent/property manager to make sure you get what you want.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

Thanks. I was leaning towards that to save some aggravation, but the fees seemed high.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is that your total monthly income or what you have available for rent each month?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

With a daughter who, following college in a couple years, will likely take her shot at a theater career in NYC, I shudder at figuring it all out in how to pay for it.

But, well, if she can find a way to make a living there for however how long, she'll be SO MUCH further along than I have ever, ever been. And I'll be so proud.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

For only six months, I wouldn't waste money on a broker. Try sublet.com -- you can put in your neighborhood of choice, and with your budget, especially if you're looking for just a one bedroom, you should be fine. Look on craigslist but be wary, especially for those listed at $1500 per month. They are ALL a scam. Insist on seeing the property before handing over money.
    Also, for that amount of time, you might be able to find a decent Airbnb apartment. Might be worth taking an Airbnb place for a week at a time, until you find an ideal spot. This is an interesting article about a guy who moved to LA, without a car (and there's no need for a car in NYC!), and hopped around via Airbnb:
    Living in L.A., one Airbnb at a time

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted