1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mangino to West Virginia ... or not

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportymcgee, Dec 19, 2007.

1. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Great line in the comments section:

How can professional journalists get duped by this? Don't they know that Mangino's agent would have talked to the KC Star first?

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oh man, that's embarrassing.

Tom Keegan, the editor there, is a good one. Gotta think he's spitting nails over this.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was this done through sports or did someone contact the newsside?

I'm thinking it's the latter. Think sports would've caught this.

6. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

It was sports. And the Lawrence paper wasn't the only media outlet called ... just the only one to fall for it.

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

It's Kansas...what do you expect? :D

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

1. Read caller ID.
    2. Get address.
    3. Pain.

I'm amazed things like this don't happen more often. It sucks.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The old "get two sources" thing would have come in handy here. It would be cool if the LJ World published the phone number that was called, however.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

shouldn't the lawrence paper have some sort of number for Mangino? Someone they could have called for backup info?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Things like a hoax caller gets treated as legit, or that a paper throws up something on its website that it wouldn't dream of putting in print without better sourcing, then gets burned? I thought of the latter first.

12. I dunno, Wick. If someone called me claiming to be Mangino's agent I would patch him on through to sports - specifically the beat guy - to let them figure it out. If not, I would question why someone is cold-calling me with the tip of the week without first going to someone they know.

Anyway, I always try to verify what some stranger on a phone tells me. Don't care who he says he is. Otherwise it's not going in. I know for a fact my editor would ask me if I know this guy is who he says he is.

There are ways to deceive us. Easily. I'm not so sure this should have been one of them. Sounds like someone just got a little too anxious to be first and it backfired.

Draft saved Draft deleted