1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mangenius just iced the kicker in a preseason game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Why? Explain that one to me. I can understand running the no-huddle, which he did. You need to practice the no-huddle.

But why do you need to "practice" icing the kicker?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's preseason and he has been out-of-practice since early January?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if those timeouts are really to ice the kicker? Seems like a lot of times, if you look closely, somebody on the coverage team is out of place, they have the wrong package in, or maybe they just smell a fake and call a timeout to be safe. In other words, one of those little things you'd never pick up on unless you were listening in on the sideline or in a headset. And since it's usually an insignificant part of the game in the grand scheme, it's something a reporter would never ask about.
    Besides, it helps most kickers, doesn't it? Gives them time to check their spot, mark their paces and gauge the wind if there is any.
    This sounds like a fun feature story for some college or pro beat writer somewhere.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Because NFL coaches are notorious micromanagers. Actually, the opposing coach should probably be glad his kicker got some practice in being iced.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does that mean Tony LaRussa would be a great NFL coach?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No, and I'd thank everyone to not question the Mangenius. After all, he led his team to a 10-6 record last season. We should all genuflect in his general direction every time his image flickers across our televisions or stares at us from our newspapers and magazines.

For he is The Mangenius.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why are you watching. EXHIBITION football?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Why are you putting. RANDOM periods?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because I'm already done watching the Indians lose and need something else to do.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outing alert: TSP. is my mother.-in law.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

WHY. Watch YU Exbition fooTBalL! [/cockdian]

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm worse. I actually bought tickets to an exhibition game!

Draft saved Draft deleted