1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mangenious" No More

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 15, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

No they didn't. Johnson was drafted third by the Texans and the highest the Jets could trade up to was the fourth slot. They didn't have a chance at all.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who picked up on this line??

Have at it, quotemeisters...

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o.
    They're not. They make no contribution to society, other than to be part of one particular brand of entertainment. Yet, these paranoid douches think they're fighting a war, leading a nation or curing cancer.
    Tough year for these Parcells/Belicheat spawn from hell. Except for the head cheater himself. We can all hope his time will come.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You cannot evaluate the draft until 2008 // Tim

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup. My notes from before the Buffalo game had CP's longest completion of the season traveling 16 yards in the air. Doubt that's changed much since then.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, Tim has had sufficient time by now to work up his analysis of the April 2004 draft.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'm confident that both Parcells and Belichick are smarter than ol' Dubya.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

In every case it happens, it's something to see a coach go from Mangenius to Mangina across two seasons. Mangini is probably somewhere in the middle (there will never be either another Belechick or, for that matter, Kottite). This is just my humble opinion, but these are what I think are the three biggest (but not only) reasons why the Jets are 1-5 this year.

• The Pete Kendall fiasco
    • Mangini's stubborn insistence on using the 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel
    • Mangini's stubborn insistence on starting Pennington & sitting Clemens

I've never played nor coached football, so I won't say these are necessarily easy decisions, but they seem like the most logical from the outside looking in.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'd have to co-sign about all of this...the Jets are clearly going nowhere so they might as well start giving Clemens some PT. They have some decent young-ish wideouts who can get down the field in a flash and a solid back in Thomas Jones.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

That's all well & good, but what good are those weapons if they are spending most of the time on the sideline when the defense can't stop the opponents? It's practically common knowledge that Jonathan Vilma and Dewayne Robertson are very good in the 4-3 scheme, but just aren't as effective in the 3-4. Either the Jets have to switch schemes (highly unlikely, esp. in the middle of the season) or use their first two picks on a monsterous NT and a suitable ILB. If the Jets stay in their tailspin, they might get some quality picks.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Geez, the whole season has gone downhill since Mangina turned into a narc.

Karma is a bitch.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent point. Mangini needs to take a lesson from Mike Tomlin's approach in Pittsburgh.

Tomlin is a Tony Dungy disciple. That means playing the 4-3 with lots of zone and counting on the line to put pressure on the quarterback. But he was smart enough to keep defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, master of the 3-4, zone blitz scheme that the Steelers ran all through Bill Cowher's seasons in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers are still in the 3-4 and attacking as much as ever because that is the approach that fits their personnel. You are seeing some of his zone defenses, particularly in Week 5 against the Seahawks when the secondary was a little beat up, but they are still a lot more of a LeBeau defense than a Tomlin one.

I assume over the long run Tomlin will want defenses built more to his preference, but he was willing to adapt to what he had to win. The results so far are a 4-1 start with the league's top-ranked defense in yards and points against.

Even Coach Hoodie has shown that he will adapt to his personnel and the situation. Apparently Mangini wasn't paying attention and he has tried to force the Jets into a defense their personnel can't handle. .

Draft saved Draft deleted